Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Too much noise from the road enters cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I think the OP is referring to outside noise intrusion other than from the tires. My A6 is a bit better at sound isolation than my last '09 A4 and about the same as my allroad and former '01 A6. Not as quiet as my friend's Cadillac but very acceptable to me for a luxury sport sedan. As already mentioned, it's best to see if you can isolate where the outside noise is coming from. You could use a db sound meter or db phone app and see if it's close to the published factory specs. (Although various tires can make a difference in the readings when at speed).

<table cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="display-name">Sound level @ idle (dB)</td><td>41.6</td></tr> <tr><td class="display-name">@ Full throttle (dB)</td><td>70.9</td></tr> <tr><td class="display-name">@ 70 mph cruise (dB)</td><td>63.4</td></tr></tbody></table>
Thanks, exactly. Most of the discussions usually covers typical tire noise. In my case the tires are actually no problem (very little surface/tire noise), but the surrounding noises bother me. It's not really easy to pinpoint the problem to one specific area - I checked all the seals, windows, doors. It seems just that closed car does not insulate enough from the outside noises. I even manage to hear bird chirping when driving slowely with closed windows!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Banned

I went for a drive with a dB meter and my TDI registers at:

30mph = 58.4 dB
40mph = 59.8 dB
60mph = 62.2 dB

I have the Continental ContiProContact tires on 18" wheels and non-sport suspension. Of course, road surface plays a huge role in all of this.

I think the OP is referring to outside noise intrusion other than from the tires. My A6 is a bit better at sound isolation than my last '09 A4 and about the same as my allroad and former '01 A6. Not as quiet as my friend's Cadillac but very acceptable to me for a luxury sport sedan. As already mentioned, it's best to see if you can isolate where the outside noise is coming from. You could use a db sound meter or db phone app and see if it's close to the published factory specs. (Although various tires can make a difference in the readings when at speed).

<table cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="display-name">Sound level @ idle (dB)</td><td>41.6</td></tr> <tr><td class="display-name">@ Full throttle (dB)</td><td>70.9</td></tr> <tr><td class="display-name">@ 70 mph cruise (dB)</td><td>63.4</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Much noiser than the C6 and I hate the fact that on many marks, Audi has regressed. Sometimes I think a window is down with as much noise that passes through.

If it weren't for the looks and the 3.0T motor I would have gotten rid of this car by now in the short 3 months I have owned it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tadziak
Thanks, exactly. Most of the discussions usually covers typical tire noise. In my case the tires are actually no problem (very little surface/tire noise), but the surrounding noises bother me. It's not really easy to pinpoint the problem to one specific area - I checked all the seals, windows, doors. It seems just that closed car does not insulate enough from the outside noises. I even manage to hear bird chirping when driving slowely with closed windows!
Hmm. The only bird I hear chirping when the windows are closed is my wife. How about wind noise at speed? Do you hear any excessive sound coming from any of the window seals? That could indicate one or more need to be aligned. If you have a smart phone, try downloading one of the sound level apps as I suggested. If the numbers are similar to the specs, it is what it is and it might mean your hearing is extremely sensitive. If not, there's something not right with the insulation or seals somewhere the car.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm. The only bird I hear chirping when the windows are closed is my wife. How about wind noise at speed? Do you hear any excessive sound coming from any of the window seals? That could indicate one or more need to be aligned. If you have a smart phone, try downloading one of the sound level apps as I suggested. If the numbers are similar to the specs, it is what it is and it might mean your hearing is extremely sensitive. If not, there's something not right with the insulation or seals somewhere the car.
I complained at the wind noise and other noises already to the Audi dealers a few times. All seals/windows were checked - they made some corrections but in general all is 'within specs'. There is no specific source of 'noise' - it feels pretty much the same at the driver's seat and passengers or in the back. Feels like closing the doors and the windows doesn't have enough impact on the insulation. If there is a person speaking to me outside the car, i can easily understand the words with everything closed (without the engine running).

I would have to try driving another one and compare...
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, my road noise from the Pirelli tires is unbearably loud, depending on road surface. Only the smoothest of smooth, newly laid asphalt is silent. Everything else hums very loudly. I might get an SPL meter for tuning my stereo system, and maybe will check the road noise.

I'm really hopful that swapping to Michelins will help. Otherwise, a lot of closed-cell-foam and mass-loaded-vinyl will be going under the floor carpet.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Well, my road noise from the Pirelli tires is unbearably loud, depending on road surface. Only the smoothest of smooth, newly laid asphalt is silent. Everything else hums very loudly. I might get an SPL meter for tuning my stereo system, and maybe will check the road noise.

I'm really hopful that swapping to Michelins will help. Otherwise, a lot of closed-cell-foam and mass-loaded-vinyl will be going under the floor carpet.
Pirelli actually has engineers whose sole goal is to make their tires as noisy, out of round and fast wearing as possible. I've been the recipient of these design characteristics more than once.

You can't do worse and are almost guaranteed to do better with the Michelins (or just about any other name brand tire for that matter).
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 14 prestige cabin is surprisingly noisy especially in the rear right. Nothing to do with tires. Just sounds like the window is cracked open. I catch myself looking over my shoulder sometimes to see if the rear right window was left opened. I also hear a thud occasionally in the rear right when driving slow.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pirelli actually has engineers whose sole goal is to make their tires as noisy, out of round and fast wearing as possible. I've been the recipient of these design characteristics more than once.
You can't be serious.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
You can't be serious.
Actually, aside from my sarcasm, I am. Made the mistake and bought a set of Pirellis for my wife's allroad and had to dump them after 10K miles. The OEM P6's on my B8 A4 were horrible - could never get them properly balanced, were extremely noisy and I finally dumped them as well after 4 months. My '13 A6 came with P-Zero's and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. If you search the forums, there's not a lot of love for the brand.

Quick Reply: Too much noise from the road enters cabin?