Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Transmission control unit software update

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission control unit software update

I had my car in to the dealer for an alignment yesterday after getting new tires on Friday night. When I made the appointment, they told me a transmission software update was available and would take an hour to install, so I had it done. It must have come out this week, since the car was at the dealer last weekend for the windshield trim/windshield replacement and there were no open campaigns at that time. The summary of the service visit shows it as the 37J1 update with Battery Load and Reflash Transmission Control Unit underneath it.

Has anyone else seen anything about this update? It seemed marginally smoother in terms of shifting on the way home, but nothing overly noticeable.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was done to mine as well just last week. I know it helped solve some of the jerkiness in the lower gears, which I can definitely feel a difference in. Other than that not sure what else it updated.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a TSB# for the update? Would love to get it when I take her in next. Thx
Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
Anyone have a TSB# for the update? Would love to get it when I take her in next. Thx
This TSB was issued back in Jan, 2013.
TSB-37-13-84
It's a software update that helps smooth out the 8 speed tiptronic 1st to 2nd gear jerkiness that some may experience. It is generally applied only when an owner complains of the issue. Presumably, models produced later already had the change programmed at the factory.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
TSB-37-13-84
It's a software update that helps smooth out the 8 speed tiptronic 1st to 2nd gear jerkiness that some may experience. It is generally applied only when an owner complains of the issue. Presumably, models produced later already had the change programmed at the factory.
Apparently they're applying it now without people complaining first. Though the jerky 1st to 2nd shifts were sometimes annoying, I never mentioned anything to the dealer about it.

Last edited by dwboston; 01-12-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This one was TCM update 37J1 which became available early Dec. I believe they are doing this automatically now without bringing up the issue.

I brought up the issue a few months ago and they said everything was normal. I brought the car in for some minor warranty work last week and they applied the update without me complaining about the issue or bringing it up. Same thing happened to another A7 owner where they applied it automatically.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2015, and about the only issue I have with the car is that sometimes the shift from 1st to 2nd is not very smooth. One would think they'd have fixed it on the production line by now, but I'll be sure to ask about it when I have my 5K service.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info all - I've definitely noticed a bit of jerky-ness in the lower gears when both accelerating and decelerating (especially in Sport mode, but maybe it's just psychosomatic). Not a huge issue for me but it'd be great if it were a bit smoother.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah I got that done a few weeks ago as well....didn't notice anything different......
Old 01-17-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
TSB-37-13-84
I just got back from the dealership. I was told that this is a new "recall" initiated in December 2014. Other than that, there is also new steering software update. These 2 recalls are mandatory. I refused the steering software update but was told I dont have a choice. I should have more detail when they are done later today.

Quick Reply: Transmission control unit software update