Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Transmission control unit software update

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I just got back from the dealership. I was told that this is a new "recall" initiated in December 2014. Other than that, there is also new steering software update. These 2 recalls are mandatory. I refused the steering software update but was told I dont have a choice. I should have more detail when they are done later today.
If the steering update is different from the one released in 2013, please let us know the TSB number and any changes you can detect. Also, if the transmission update is newer than TSB-37-13-84 that was available in July, 2013.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glacier6
This one was TCM update 37J1 which became available early Dec. I believe they are doing this automatically now without bringing up the issue.
I concur with this.
Brought my A7 to the dealer a couple weeks ago to get some work done, and they also did the 37J1 campaign (invoice says "37J1" and "UPDATE TCM SOFTWARE"), which apparently fixes some of the transmission control module settings/mappings.

My impression is that my S-mode is now more like I would expect it (I previously was feeling like S-mode would get lazy like D-mode at times), noticeably becoming more sporty when I change from D, even if I'm just cruising along not too aggressively. Now it almost always downshifts one gear when I go from D to S, and maintains the revs a bit higher. Looks like Audi got it right with this update!

I just got back from the dealership. I was told that this is a new "recall" initiated in December 2014. Other than that, there is also new steering software update. These 2 recalls are mandatory. I refused the steering software update but was told I dont have a choice. I should have more detail when they are done later today.
I'll check on this when I go back in the next week or so (a couple parts had to be ordered). I'm not in love with the current soft steering, so I might go for a steering SW update if there is one.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tman007
I concur with this.

My impression is that my S-mode is now more like I would expect it (I previously was feeling like S-mode would get lazy like D-mode at times), noticeably becoming more sporty when I change from D, even if I'm just cruising along not too aggressively. Now it almost always downshifts one gear when I go from D to S, and maintains the revs a bit higher. Looks like Audi got it right with this update!
My 2013 D to S behavior always downshifted by a single gear "out of the box" at delivery. The transmission software updated in my car in July 2013 changed the behavior by almost always forcing a more satisfying two gear downshift resulting in a more noticeable, "sportier" performance. Not sure what this new update adds or changes.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My 2013 D to S behavior always downshifted by a single gear "out of the box" at delivery. The transmission software updated in my car in July 2013 changed the behavior by almost always forcing a more satisfying two gear downshift resulting in a more noticeable, "sportier" performance. Not sure what this new update adds or changes.
Interesting..i believe i've gotten the latest update last year but i rarely recall a 2-gear downshift when i pop it in S-mode. It seems to always drop down 1 gear and obviously more responsive with higher rpm shifting. If you're on the highway, does it drop from 8 to 6? Mine will always drop to 7.
I'll have to double check for new updates when i take it in.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had my 2012 in for another issue. Did the update. FWIW, the service writer said that he thought that this update had something to do with emission control issues rather than shifting behavior. I didn't notice any difference afterwards...but it was shifting smoothly before.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

If the steering update is different from the one released in 2013, please let us know the TSB number and any changes you can detect. Also, if the transmission update is newer than TSB-37-13-84 that was available in July, 2013.
I believe the steering software update is the same as the one released in 2013 with campaign number 48K8. (I still dont know why the service advisor told me it is mandatory). Now my steering feel is lighter than air. Using the comfort mode reminds me of spinning the steering wheel found at the playground.

As for the transmission update, it is definitely a newer update than the one released some time ago to fix the 1-2 2-1 jerkiness. Not sure if it is placebo effect but shifting seems smoother and crispier.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As for the transmission update, it is definitely a newer update than the one released some time ago to fix the 1-2 2-1 jerkiness. Not sure if it is placebo effect but shifting seems smoother and crispier.
+1
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have the TSB number?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine says:

C C/S: 37J1 2014-12-09 W-UPDATE ? TCM Update (NVLW)
Cause: Vehicle Update
37302599 Update TCM SOFTWARE
1945 W13
Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I specifically asked my SA for the TSB, and he said "there's no TSB, it's a campaign". Here's what's on my invoice:

I used to only notice the jerkiness 1-2 when first pulling out of my garage in the morning. This TCM update seems to have softened that out.

Quick Reply: Transmission control unit software update