Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trunk Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Delivery

Amazon offers trunk delivery

The online retail giant announced a pilot project this past week with Audi and DHL Parcel to deliver orders directly to the trunks of German customers’ cars.

The service, which debuts next month, will initially be available to a limited number of members of Amazon’s Prime service, which offers free next-day shipping on millions of items to customers who pay an annual fee of 49 euros (roughly $53).

The pilot will only be available in Munich, and only to Audi owners whose cars allow keyless access and wireless tracking.

Those customers can choose trunk delivery by giving DHL temporary digital access to their car’s trunks.

During checkout, shoppers will also need to let DHL know the car’s approximate location during the delivery period, and the delivery service will be able to use tracking technology to locate the precise parking spot when it arrives with the parcel.

The service is part of Amazon’s continuing bid to make shopping on its site more convenient than driving to the store.

“The pilot is the first step towards eventually offering Amazon Prime members around the world the ability to use the trunk of their car as a delivery location,” Amazon spokeswoman Kelly Cheeseman said in a statement.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James517
Amazon offers trunk delivery

The online retail giant announced a pilot project this past week with Audi and DHL Parcel to deliver orders directly to the trunks of German customers’ cars.

The service, which debuts next month, will initially be available to a limited number of members of Amazon’s Prime service, which offers free next-day shipping on millions of items to customers who pay an annual fee of 49 euros (roughly $53).

The pilot will only be available in Munich, and only to Audi owners whose cars allow keyless access and wireless tracking.

Those customers can choose trunk delivery by giving DHL temporary digital access to their car’s trunks.

During checkout, shoppers will also need to let DHL know the car’s approximate location during the delivery period, and the delivery service will be able to use tracking technology to locate the precise parking spot when it arrives with the parcel.

The service is part of Amazon’s continuing bid to make shopping on its site more convenient than driving to the store.

“The pilot is the first step towards eventually offering Amazon Prime members around the world the ability to use the trunk of their car as a delivery location,” Amazon spokeswoman Kelly Cheeseman said in a statement.
When I first read this I thought it meant that I could get a new trunk for my car delivered directly to my car. And then I thought, why do Audi owners need so many new trunks?!?

So, basically I need to tell them where my car is going to be (probably work or home) and give them access to my trunk so they can put the packages in there. I suppose if I lived in a townhouse or somewhere where the packages might get stolen off my porch this would be beneficial. Seems like this feature is more beneficial to amazon/delivery companies.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my C7, since it only opens the trunk and doesn't close--all you'd do is give everyone access to the car and the item you ordered.

A real bonus!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by James517
With my C7, since it only opens the trunk and doesn't close--all you'd do is give everyone access to the car and the item you ordered.

A real bonus!
BTW, nice motorglider. I just sold my lancair legacy and 182 due to marriage/kids (boo!)
Old 04-28-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Combine this news with Amazon's other big science project, and who knows maybe in 5 years we'll have drones putting packages in our trunks. I'm a big amazon fan but I don't think I'd let them do that...

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011
Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You park your car in the driveway and peek through the living room window awaiting delivery. When the drone arrives, it opens the trunk, navigates the package drop inside and then you immediately press the trunk close button so that it slams shut and Voila, you have caught another drone.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I get the need for the trunk thing. Even if you don't trust leaving packages on your porch, don't have a porch, etc.. if your car is home, aren't you home to answer the doorbell? I guess if you're having them drop packages at work instead or something but just seems odd to me.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
You park your car in the driveway and peek through the living room window awaiting delivery. When the drone arrives, it opens the trunk, navigates the package drop inside and then you immediately press the trunk close button so that it slams shut and Voila, you have caught another drone.
Trunk close button? I ain't got no trunk close button. Now, if I had an A8 or Q7, I'd have a close trunk button. But I ain't got no A8 or Q7. Just a pain ol' A6 with no close trunk button. Ergo, no way to catch a drone in my trunk. Or anything else for that matter. Unless the drone can close my trunk manually. But then I get no trapped drone. A conundrum for sure.