Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

truphone sim stuck at 2G

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truphone sim stuck at 2G

i drove from the san francisco bay area to sacramento the other day. somewhere along the way the signal dropped to 2G, and have not come back to 3G ever since.

what i've tried:

- reinserted sim several times (while driving)
- rebooted (menu+ push main ****+ upper right soft key)
- turned data option on/off
- re-entered truphone.com, leaving userid and pwd blank
- turned roaming on/off
- clicked on automatic configuration

what's interesting is, when i go to connection status, it shows up as AT&T... any suggestions? thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call them they did something for me on their network before. Good customer service
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Call them they did something for me on their network before. Good customer service
thanks... called them up and asked if they can reboot/reset on their end. they said everything looked fine on their side, and there is no magic button like that.

just for giggles, i re-inserted the expired T-Mobile sim - it came up as 3G. I then re-inserted the TruPhone sim, and again it dropped to 2G. Drives me nuts.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by daydok
thanks... called them up and asked if they can reboot/reset on their end. they said everything looked fine on their side, and there is no magic button like that.

just for giggles, i re-inserted the expired T-Mobile sim - it came up as 3G. I then re-inserted the TruPhone sim, and again it dropped to 2G. Drives me nuts.
The test you did pretty much isolates the issue. Since the Tru sim uses the same T-Mobile network, I'd suspect the card. After you explain the test you did, ask Tru to send you a replacement card. If they balk or want to charge you, order a P-Tel card and give them a month to month try.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem once when early on. I toggled the data roaming feature a few times and it eventually worked. Try it with roaming On and then Off.

See if either option works.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i drove from the san francisco bay area to sacramento the other day. somewhere along the way the signal dropped to 2G, and have not come back to 3G ever since.

what i've tried:

- reinserted sim several times (while driving)
- rebooted (menu+ push main ****+ upper right soft key)
- turned data option on/off
- re-entered truphone.com, leaving userid and pwd blank
- turned roaming on/off
- clicked on automatic configuration

what's interesting is, when i go to connection status, it shows up as AT&T... any suggestions? thanks in advance
same time frame, same problem... on the east coast, but exact same symptoms... will have to call them and ask i suppose
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No Luck

Originally Posted by jhartm2
same time frame, same problem... on the east coast, but exact same symptoms... will have to call them and ask i suppose
Called Truphone, they dont know what is wrong. any luck on your end?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For some reason it has chosen to roam on AT&T - and that's why you are getting 2G service. Maybe roaming off is a better option?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Tried turning off roaming, still stuck at 2G. does anyone know if AUDI MMI use 1700MHZ?

because that is what I got from Truphone level 2 support:

Hello,

Good day to you. I am really sorry for the inconvenience on this. I would like to inform you that due to network restriction and handset prefferences, please be advice that our partner network in the US is T-mobile only. Should you want to access 3G data whilst in the US you need to a have a handset with 1700 MHZ spectrum as it is the preference of T-mobile for 3G band.

Again this is a restriction while in USA only. For other countries. 3G service for data is available. We are continuously working on improving our services and please bear with us, as this is a network restriction as suppose to device compatibility.

Kind Regards,
Truphone Help Team
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my card and am using 2G only on the AT&T network

Quick Reply: truphone sim stuck at 2G