Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TSB for Intercooler Grill

Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB for Intercooler Grill

After picking up my A6 for it's second oil change, I received an alarm on the dash "Shutoff Engine and check coolant levels" just before parking at work. After being towed back to the dealer, they discovered a rock had punctured a hole in the "Intercooler Radiator" (IR). It appears there is an unobstructed sight-line underneath the front license plate to the IR. TSB 2034439/2 had the dealer not only replace the IR but also apply a grill cover on the IR (behind the vehicle's front grill as an extra layer on the IR). Before the tow truck arrived, there was a noticeable puddle of coolant leak directly under the far front of the vehicle.

Just thought people here might want to know about this. 2013 A6/C7 Prestige.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So they are repairing this and applying the cover under warranty/TSB? This has been a known issue with 3.0t cars, the B8 S4 in particular. My recollection when this first popped up was that the driver had to pay for the repairs, and Audi sold a protective screen kit for folks interested in putting some kind of protection in place. Many in the B8 S4 forums have resorted to home-made covers to protect against this very issue.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps Audi doesn't consider the hoi polloi, driving mere S4s, worthy of coverage
Shame on them - some of my best friends drive S4s.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did not pay anything when I picked up the car. So either warranty or TSB? Don't know which...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This bit us on a trip to Eastern Washington recently. Same scenario. As it happened on a Friday afternoon and the nearest dealer (1 hr away) wasn't open on Saturday or Sunday, we had to rent a car and I was stranded for two extra days in Kennewick getting our A6 fixed. Luckily we were with friends and my wife was able to get a ride home and make it to work on Monday.

The dealer (Overturf Audi, VW, Kia in Kennewick) did an outstanding job of communication and getting the new radiator installed. I was on my way home by Tuesday afternoon. That was pretty much the best I could expect. The repair was done under warranty and I will be reimbursed for my hotel and rental car (up to $500).

While I am not thrilled that the problem happened in the first place, I am more than thrilled with both Audi's and the dealer's reaction and efforts to make it right.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by r1100rider
This bit us on a trip to Eastern Washington recently. Same scenario. As it happened on a Friday afternoon and the nearest dealer (1 hr away) wasn't open on Saturday or Sunday, we had to rent a car and I was stranded for two extra days in Kennewick getting our A6 fixed. Luckily we were with friends and my wife was able to get a ride home and make it to work on Monday.

The dealer (Overturf Audi, VW, Kia in Kennewick) did an outstanding job of communication and getting the new radiator installed. I was on my way home by Tuesday afternoon. That was pretty much the best I could expect. The repair was done under warranty and I will be reimbursed for my hotel and rental car (up to $500).

While I am not thrilled that the problem happened in the first place, I am more than thrilled with both Audi's and the dealer's reaction and efforts to make it right.
Now that's service. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1100rider
That's my dealer, I live across the river in Pasco. I have also been impressed by their service, sales not so much, but the service manager is very receptive to problem discussions. I'm taking mine in for tire rotation in a couple weeks, will ask about the grill.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any way to a photo of what was installed? Are the 14 model years ok?

Edit: I took a look at my intercooler radiator and there is a plastic screen cover thing covering the blades that the coolant passes through but not the cooling fins. Must be the protector you are referring to.

Last edited by Mc52; 04-13-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mc52
Any way to a photo of what was installed? Are the 14 model years ok?
I have no way of knowing anything about any other cars than our own and I did not know about the TSB until I saw it here. The service manager did explain to me that Audi recognized the problem and responded by engineering the covering.

I will get a photo as soon as I can.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a picture of part of the new radiator and grill.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSB for Intercooler Grill