Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Turn Signal Usage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Turn Signal Usage

This forum and Audi's in general are typically populated with "enthusiasts" but the use of turn signals on all cars, including Audi's, seems a rarity in most locations and in particular in Southern California.

How many people use them for EVERY lane change and EVERY turn? Input from countries other than the USA would be very useful too but in my travels, it seems that the USA is the worst and has minimal usage.

I like the Audi lane assist which tries to keep you in your lane if you don't indicate but I'm sure that some people turn it off because indicating would be one task too many.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I use mine every time I turn or lane change. as well as pulling out from the curb and merging onto highways. I agree that drivers not doing so is a real safety issue and silly - it takes little effort.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Massachusetts here. I use them at least 95% of the time. I suppose if it is an empty road and I'm SURE it is empty, I might forget, but I almost always use it as an automatic movement. I'm originally from Florida btw.

A bad habit which many New Englanders seem to have is that they DO use their "blinkahs" but they wait until the very last second before turning, or sometimes turn it on AS they are turning - like, in the middle of the turn (I envision as the hands turn the wheel, it just happens to go past the stick and that's when the blinker gets hit). Drives me crazy!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A pet peeve of mine:
I wish people would learn to signal their intentions with their turn signal before braking to stop/slow/turn, not the other way around.

I always signal, but I know people who don't use signals to change lanes because they think that the driver in the other lane would speed up to not let them in if they signal their intention. Unfortunatly this is true with many a-hole drivers.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Of course, how many people are going to post that they only use them 5% of the time, knowing that they will get slammed by the forum. So I have to assume that if you don't post then you don't use your indicators?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use my indicators All the time. I hate people that don't, Period!

I lived in Norcal for 2 years (just moved back home 6 months ago) and California by far is the worst in not indicating. Epically horrible drivers in California.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, about 95% of the time, as a safety measure and courtesy to let people know what I'm doing. In fact, I still use them even when no one else is around.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% even when I don't think anyone is around.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Banned

I use them most of the time. Probably not as often as I should, but at least 90% for lane changes and always for turns.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
So I have to assume that if you don't post then you don't use your indicators?
In to avoid the presumption of guilt!

Actually I wish I could find the right coding for the 5-blinks vs 3-blinks on my car. VCDS doesn't list the option for my control module

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Usage