Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Turn Signal Usage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
BTW, new law in MA as of June 1: headlights must be on whenever the wipers are activated when raining. Nice that our cars do this automatically these days.
NYS has had that for a while. From the NYS drivers manual: " New York State law requires you to turn on your headlights when the weather conditions require the use of windshield wipers to clear rain, snow, sleet or fog. "Daytime running lights" do not qualify as headlights."
Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think with the advent of DRLs in most new cars now, they are acceptable (and legal) to be on full time. In fact, I believe it's improved safety in all conditions.
BTW, new law in MA as of June 1: headlights must be on whenever the wipers are activated when raining. Nice that our cars do this automatically these days.

When the switch is turned on for the wipers, the lowbeams automatically turn on?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeA
When the switch is turned on for the wipers, the lowbeams automatically turn on?
Only if the headlight switch is in the "Auto" position, the headlights will come on depending on outside brightness (twilight, tunnels) or if the auto wiper rain sensor activates. My headlight switch hasn't changed from Auto since I took delivery three years ago. I let the system do its thing and it works automatically as expected.
It's in the manual in the lights section.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i use them every lane change, and my horn when others don't!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh yeah, all the time. Turns, lane changes, exits, parking lots. Bugs me, because seems like 80% of operators have no idea where their indicators are.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Lane assist is a great feature that fights you if you don't indicate, which is probably why some people turn it off.

If DRL's are a good idea (and I think that they are) then why don't they have them at the rear as well? I have enabled my rear DRL's because I think that it makes as much sense as having the front ones on.

California also mandates lights should be on in reduced visibility but our cops are only trained to give tickets for speeding. Not indicating, not having lights on in the rain and texting while driving are not proven revenue streams so the law is irrelevant. In fact bad, dangerous driving is tolerated but 41 in a 35 is a $$ fine and points.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use them every time. If you are in front of me and don't use your signal, expect me to give you a beep on my horn. No excuse not to use this valuable tool to keep the roads safer.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If someone is approaching from behind me and I know that they are going to change lanes to get around me and they do not indicate then I indicate and then turn into the lane that they moved in to. Either they might work out that they didn't indicate or they will get pissed and start shooting! The problem with stupid people is that they are too stupid to realize that they are stupid. I must admit that I know that I am fighting a losing battle but somebody has to teach these people because the enforcement agencies won't.
Sorry for the rant but I have a very low tolerance for people who do not indicate EVERY time.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Seriously? You're going to block them because they didn't signal before changing lanes to pass? Are you a Nascar driver? A state patrolman? Sounds like a case of dangerous road rage to me. Perhaps the stupid label needs to be redefined here.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Seriously? You're going to block them because they didn't signal before changing lanes to pass? Are you a Nascar driver? A state patrolman? Sounds like a case of dangerous road rage to me. Perhaps the stupid label needs to be redefined here.
It's really tough to block someone on a 4 or 5 lanes freeway. If they indicate then I would courteously let them pass before my lane change, if they don't then they may suffer from their inadequacies. No, not a nascar driver - I can turn right too. Not a state patrolman - I indicate my lane changes. This is LA where road rage is something completely different. You can't redefine stupid besides, I think that the not indicating drivers are not so much stupid as they are ignorant. Do we really need laws to make people indicate?

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Usage