Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Two Random Questions

Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Random Questions

I've had two questions about my car that have been nagging at me for awhile. I've read the owner's manual from cover to cover, and I haven't been able to find the answer there, so if any of you know I'd be most appreciative.

1) I was curious is anyone knew if there was any sort of lockout mechanism for the push button Engine Start/Stop. I'm assuming there must be, in case a child or passenger accidentally pressed it while you were driving. Clearly I don't want to test this assumption out, but is that correct?

2) When I open the car door, usually in the morning or after the car has been sitting for several hours, I hear a clicking noise coming from the truck area. I'm guessing this may have something to do with the battery or possibly a boot up for the MMI. Does anyone else notice this, and/or know what this is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As for your first question, I can assure you that nothing bad happens if you push the button while it is driving along in D. I've tried it out of curiosity.

Now, don't try that with the e-brake. The manual tells you that this will engage as an emergency way to stop the vehicle if you pull it. I've not tried this myself, and hope I never have to.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1 - a quick accidental touch of the start/stop should not stop the engine while car is running, however, I believe that if you intentionally press & hold the start/stop for a few (4-5) secs. while driving, it will shut off the engine.

2 - the clicking is the fuel pump being primed
Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
As for your first question, I can assure you that nothing bad happens if you push the button while it is driving along in D. I've tried it out of curiosity.

Now, don't try that with the e-brake. The manual tells you that this will engage as an emergency way to stop the vehicle if you pull it. I've not tried this myself, and hope I never have to.
Thanks. I had to imagine, just from a simple safety stand point, that Audi wouldn't allow the button to work while cruising down the highway.

Next time you go out to your car, if it's been sitting awhile, just grab your door handle to unlock it, and listen to see if you don't also here that clicking sound I'm talking about. It's subtle, just a quick series of rhythmic clicks coming from the truck area. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the car, I'm just curious what it's doing.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
1 - a quick accidental touch of the start/stop should not stop the engine while car is running, however, I believe that if you intentionally press & hold the start/stop for a few (4-5) secs. while driving, it will shut off the engine.

2 - the clicking is the fuel pump being primed
Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thank you.

I am now enlightened.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
Hmm. Not positive but I thought if you held the start/stop button for a few seconds while driving that it engaged the front passenger ejection seat. The sun roof quickly opens and rocket motors eject the seat out at high speed. I'll have to try it on the interstate with my annoying next door neighbor to see if that's the way it actually works.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Hmm. Not positive but I thought if you held the start/stop button for a few seconds while driving that it engaged the front passenger ejection seat. The sun roof quickly opens and rocket motors eject the seat out at high speed. I'll have to try it on the interstate with my annoying next door neighbor to see if that's the way it actually works.
Wow, I didn't know that Audi had the same features as my James-Bond Aston.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I know. I've pressed everything and I can't figure out how to arm the machine gun. I'll keep trying and when I get it I'll post in the tips and tricks thread. Q, a little help here please?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jatp
Next time you go out to your car, if it's been sitting awhile, just grab your door handle to unlock it, and listen to see if you don't also here that clicking sound I'm talking about. It's subtle, just a quick series of rhythmic clicks coming from the truck area. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the car, I'm just curious what it's doing.
I know what you mean. When I first heard it on my prior A6/C6 I was curious and I still dont know what it is. But I think its pretty cool. Just another example of how complex this car's systems are. This is no toyota.