Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Which tyre is quieter and better??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tyre is quieter and better??

Hello Guys,

Time has arrived to change tyres on my Audi A6 C7. It has 20'' wheels, currently on Pirelli Pzeros which i have experienced cause very uncomfortable noise into the cabin area. I have these two tyres in my mind if somebody could help me suggest which one is better out of these two? Continental Sport Contact 5P or Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT.

Regards,
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Had the Continental Sport Contact 3 (previous version) on my S4 and have experienced the Dunlop Sport Maxx on a loaner A4 Allroad. In my experience the Dunlops were quieter than the Continentals in the Sport Contact product range.

Better is subjective, so best to read a bit more into reviews to determine what you are looking for - tirerack.com is a good resource for that.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my experience, stay away from the Continentials.
At about 30% treadwear thet start to get noisy, at 50%, forget about it.

I was dissapointed to see them on my new 2015 A6.

Michelins are my brand of choice
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Simply go to tirerack, search your size, and sort the survey results in each category and look at Noise Comfort
Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am in search of my next set of tires and saw your mentioning of Pirelli P7 Plus. Tirerack rated it very high on the noise comfort and wet traction, but its comparison test with other tires shows the worst web traction in that group. It seemed to me that their rating is based on customers feedback, while comparison is done by their own staff. This gave me contradicting review. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iBetterDoNow
I am in search of my next set of tires and saw your mentioning of Pirelli P7 Plus. Tirerack rated it very high on the noise comfort and wet traction, but its comparison test with other tires shows the worst web traction in that group. It seemed to me that their rating is based on customers feedback, while comparison is done by their own staff. This gave me contradicting review. Any thoughts on this?
Are you looking at this tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ll+Season+Plus

if so, you can see it is at the top in almost all categories based on user experiences

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

now Tire Rack does their own testing as well, and their summary was

What We Liked: A very smooth and quiet ride
What We'd Improve: Moderate increase in wet traction
Conclusion: One of the best-riding Grand Touring All-Season tires

if you look at their test results, their numbers were well in line with the customer surveys except in the area of wet traction. I suspect that is because tire rack really pushes the tires in the tests while drivers are commenting based on real life experience and most likely do not drive as aggressively. So I think it comes down to your driving style and what is important to you
Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good points on tirerack pushing hard doing comparison tests on wet traction vs real life experience from consumers rating. What still bothers me was the wet stopping distance from 50mph; 120 vs 103 feet. I don't drive fast on rainy days, but wet stopping distance in emergency is critical.