Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Upgraded Audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 PM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It is the center on dashboard.

Regarding remove the door panels - first time it was hard, second time it was easy ...

Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVE
It is the center on dashboard. Regarding remove the door panels - first time it was hard, second time it was easy ...
Ohh ok. Gotcha. I plan on replacing the door speakers as well later on. Thanks for posting pictures!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by audia612
Ohh ok. Gotcha. I plan on replacing the door speakers as well later on. Thanks for posting pictures!

Some important considerations for those planning to upgrade the front door speakers.

1. The Bose midbass comes in a large, black, plastic, ported enclosure that you can see in the post above. The driver itself is tiny, maybe 3 or 4 inches. So you're not going to find a suitable drop-in speaker replacement. Therefore, the entire enclosure should be removed. Here is what it looks like after you remove it:

When you remove that enclosure, there will be a large, oval-shaped hole in the door frame. You will need to create a baffle to close in that hole, and then mount a trim ring for your new speaker in that baffle. Here is how we did this to my door, using an 8 inch trim ring for an 8" Beyma midbass driver.

The baffle is made from molded plastic, and is then wrapped in closed-cell foam and bolted into the door frame using the same holes that the Bose midbass enclosure used. I kept the Bose enclosure for when I eventually sell the car.

2. The midrange speaker above the midbass is very shallow and does not have an opening behind it in the door frame. That means you will also have a hard time finding a suitable "drop-in" replacement. Most aftermarket midrange speakers will have deeper baskets and larger magnets which would require a hole to be cut in the door frame. I prefer to avoid cutting holes in the frame of the car for reasons of resale value and structural integrity. Therefore, you might want to consider an alternative mounting location for replacement midrange speakers. Take a look at the pictures below to see what I am talking about.

This is a picture showing the Bose factory midrange speaker. It is the small, round, black speaker directly above the larger 8" opening.

Now have a look at the same door, but with the midrange speaker removed. Notice there is no hole or cutout behind the speaker? Just a round circle of white metal where the speaker used to be. It will be difficult to fit most, if not all, aftermarket speakers in that location.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Some important considerations for those planning to upgrade the front door speakers. 1. The Bose midbass comes in a large, black, plastic, ported enclosure that you can see in the post above. The driver itself is tiny, maybe 3 or 4 inches. So you're not going to find a suitable drop-in speaker replacement. Therefore, the entire enclosure should be removed. Here is what it looks like after you remove it: When you remove that enclosure, there will be a large, oval-shaped hole in the door frame. You will need to create a baffle to close in that hole, and then mount a trim ring for your new speaker in that baffle. Here is how we did this to my door, using an 8 inch trim ring for an 8" Beyma midbass driver. The baffle is made from molded plastic, and is then wrapped in closed-cell foam and bolted into the door frame using the same holes that the Bose midbass enclosure used. I kept the Bose enclosure for when I eventually sell the car. 2. The midrange speaker above the midbass is very shallow and does not have an opening behind it in the door frame. That means you will also have a hard time finding a suitable "drop-in" replacement. Most aftermarket midrange speakers will have deeper baskets and larger magnets which would require a hole to be cut in the door frame. I prefer to avoid cutting holes in the frame of the car for reasons of resale value and structural integrity. Therefore, you might want to consider an alternative mounting location for replacement midrange speakers. Take a look at the pictures below to see what I am talking about. This is a picture showing the Bose factory midrange speaker. It is the small, round, black speaker directly above the larger 8" opening. Now have a look at the same door, but with the midrange speaker removed. Notice there is no hole or cutout behind the speaker? Just a round circle of white metal where the speaker used to be. It will be difficult to fit most, if not all, aftermarket speakers in that location.
Gotcha. Would it be the same if I don't have Bose or B&O system?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audia612
Gotcha. Would it be the same if I don't have Bose or B&O system?
I believe the answer is yes. I doubt Audi made any structural changes to the door frame just for the stereo.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the answer is yes. I doubt Audi made any structural changes to the door frame just for the stereo.
Ohh ok. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When you remove that enclosure, there will be a large, oval-shaped hole in the door frame. You will need to create a baffle to close in that hole, and then mount a trim ring for your new speaker in that baffle. Here is how we did this to my door, using an 8 inch trim ring for an 8" Beyma midbass driver.
The baffle is made from molded plastic, and is then wrapped in closed-cell foam and bolted into the door frame using the same holes that the Bose midbass enclosure used. [/IMG]
This baffle is the largest obstacle for me. How do you made this and which materials were used? Can you explain more details please?

Thanx a lot
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DVE
This baffle is the largest obstacle for me. How do you made this and which materials were used? Can you explain more details please?

Thanx a lot
We used a plastic material that was heated up and molded into the shape needed to cover the hole. We then glued a layer of closed cell foam to the back of it.