Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Year one report card

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Year one report card

Thought I would give Audiworld an update. April of last year I sold my four year old S5 Cabriolet then took delivery on a Glacier White A6 Prestige. Ordered it with B&O, Cold Weather, and Driver Assistance w/HUD.

Bottom line it has been a fantastic car and I am still super pleased with the decision. I've put over 16K on the vehicle since purchase - which is why I switched from the S5 Cab - I just do too much long distance driving and this car gives me the option of driving an Audi vs. our Honda minivan in many circumstances.

Reliability has been 100%. Simply put - nothing has gone wrong on the car. My dealer experience at Audi of Chantilly, VA has been stellar, as expected after my S5 experience with them.

Let me give readers my thoughts on some of the options and features. I know when I was buying I appreciated that:

- B&O: I still think it's worth it. I will be honest and say 90% of my music is consumed these days via my Spotify subscription so maybe B&O is overkill but the capacity of the system still tickles me when I need it.

- Google Maps, Internet Hot-spot, Audi Connect: Worthless. YMMV but I already have an iPhone6 and those audi functions are painful and pointless given what I have on the phone. I bought a $20K Honda Civic last week that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with a decent touch screen so I have seen the future. It's good Audi is finally moving to CarPlay.

- Driver Assist and HUD. This is my biggest, maybe my only, real beef. HUD is fine (though personally it is more of a fun gadget to me than actually useful), The driver assist features though are substandard. I guess it just comes down to how fast auto-driving tech in general has raised our expectations but Audi's seems poor to me: the ACC is finicky and stops working in stop-and-go, and the lane-keeping isn't pro-active enough to be useful but just active enough to be annoying.

- Quattro. I live in Northern Virginia but drive frequently to Western PA, WV, and Illinois. I mounted a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's on my A6 for the winter. Bottom line is this car has exceptional performance and confidence when the going gets rough. Well done Audi.

- Favorite accessory: Koomus CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder. Great use for the CD slot on this car.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Knowing how important the integration of phone and car will be, I was somewhat hesitant to sign up for the 2016 A6, since it was not going to include Carplay or A Auto. But I was gratified to read last week that Android Auto, at least, has new features coming that will allow it to operate on ANY car, doesn't matter if it has the software pre-installed in the vehicle--so that's good news.
I actually like the driver assist functions. I drove from L.A. to Tucson and back and it was great to have the ACC and the Lane Assist. They worked well. I don't mind that the sytem is not designed to work under 20mph... I'll drive it myself at those speeds.
As for all the latest MMI tech, I agree that it leaves something to be desired. For music, I find myself using Spotify off my phone mostly. Voice commands work pretty well that way. But once you get out of the metro area into remote areas, you can't depend on the phone connection, so it helps to have plenty of music on the SD card(s).
Voice commands/manual entry on the NAV system are a pain, so I use Google Maps or the Audi Connect app to send destinations to the car...much easier. I won't renew Audi Connect, but appreciate it for gas prices and flight status, both functions I can get otherwise with phone apps.
I've only had the car four months and don't drive it much, but it has been trouble free and no rattles. Reasonaby fun to drive in Sport mode. In regular drive mode, tranny upshifts too soon so you always feel you are mashing the gas pedal to get any kind of pickup. Even with sport suspension, I want a more nimble feel to the handling and to that end I am getting sway bars and end links installed this weekend by Eurocode.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lectrolink
Knowing how important the integration of phone and car will be, I was somewhat hesitant to sign up for the 2016 A6, since it was not going to include Carplay or A Auto. But I was gratified to read last week that Android Auto, at least, has new features coming that will allow it to operate on ANY car, doesn't matter if it has the software pre-installed in the vehicle--so that's good news.
The news stories on Android Auto are misleading. A Auto will run on any car because it is running on your phone or tablet. There is no integration. It will be an improvement over what we have today. I plan on mounting an inexpensive tablet to take advantage of it. Not as jazzy as the pop up display or the driver dashboard display but I like the idea of always on Waze, Google map integration and relevant search.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by toramo1
- Driver Assist and HUD...
the ACC is finicky and stops working in stop-and-go, and the lane-keeping isn't pro-active enough to be useful but just active enough to be annoying.
If ACC is activated and you come to a stop, it will disengage after a few seconds - this is by design. It's a safety feature to prevent the car from moving forward if a driver is not paying attention and not expecting it (echos of the '80s Audi unintended acceleration issue). You can reactivate the ACC by 1) pulling on the ACC stalk or 2) tapping the gas pedal. The car will not move forward again until the preset ACC distance is attained. Pressing on the gas for few seconds until the preset distance is reached will eliminate the delay.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If ACC is activated and you come to a stop, it will disengage after a few seconds - this is by design. It's a safety feature to prevent the car from moving forward if a driver is not paying attention and not expecting it (echos of the '80s Audi unintended acceleration issue). You can reactivate the ACC by 1) pulling on the ACC stalk or 2) tapping the gas pedal. The car will not move forward again until the preset ACC distance is attained. Pressing on the gas for few seconds until the preset distance is reached will eliminate the delay.
Cool, I did not know about the 'tapping the gas peddle trick' thanks!!!!

Last edited by DanfZX14; 05-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, I was also wondering why you wouldn't like the ACC with stop and go as mine works awesome and does not shut off. It works so well, and I like it so much I'll never own another vehicle without it, takes the stress right out of stop and go driving. Now I see you just did not realize how it was supposed to work.