Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ventilated Seat Odor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat ventilation in the A6 is lame at best. It blows ambient air (interior air) so if it's hot in the car, it will blow hot air and vice versa. Every other vehicle I've owned blows cool conditioned air. It's just a bad design by Audi.
As for the odor, I would suspect the seat itself (more like the seat cushion material) is the culprit. Probably needs deep cleaning.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by last911
The A6 system "sucks at cooling" because it tries to blow warmer air. The 911 does a great job of cooling because it sucks cool air past your body.

If you don't support my test results, try it yourself.
Change the polarity of the fan motor to have your A6 draw air into the seat. It's a DC motor and it can run in either direction.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I have two cars with ventilated seats. A Porsche 911 and my A6. The seat ventilation does a great job on the 911, but the A6 not much air is felt at all. So I set out one afternoon to understand what was going on. First I placed a tissue on the seat cushion of either seat and activated the ventilation. The 911 sucked the tissue to the seat, while the A6 blew the tissue off the seat. The designs had opposite air flows.

When seated in in 911 on a hot day, the seat pulls the cool A/C air directed towards the driver and moves past and into the seat. The magic is that the moisture on your skin or clothing is wicked away and you feel cooler. When seated in the A6, air is drawn from the floor area beneath the seat and blown out towards the driver. As the air is not particularly cool or dry, evaporative cooling of the skin or clothing doesn't occur.

The A6 system "sucks at cooling" because it tries to blow warmer air. The 911 does a great job of cooling because it sucks cool air past your body.

You are correct and I learned to not just repeat what I read elsewhere (which I rarely do anyway). I never really cared (or checked) and several posts on various forums stated that it sucks air in. I did the tissue test and it was blown off the seat, just as you said.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Sucks or blows, all the ventilated seats can do is help eliminate perspiration from your body by moving the interior ambient temperature air through your seat and seat back using small fans. Once the interior cools down it begins to work at this task but a blaster of refrigerated air as maybe found in other brands it's not. Did Audi design it this way as an afterthought or was it a deliberate action on their part for some reason, i.e. cost or perceived comfort? Only the wizards in Ingolstadt know for sure.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two cars with ventilated seats. A Porsche 911 and my A6. The seat ventilation does a great job on the 911, but the A6 not much air is felt at all. So I set out one afternoon to understand what was going on. First I placed a tissue on the seat cushion of either seat and activated the ventilation. The 911 sucked the tissue to the seat, while the A6 blew the tissue off the seat. The designs had opposite air flows.

When seated in in 911 on a hot day, the seat pulls the cool A/C air directed towards the driver and moves past and into the seat. The magic is that the moisture on your skin or clothing is wicked away and you feel cooler. When seated in the A6, air is drawn from the floor area beneath the seat and blown out towards the driver. As the air is not particularly cool or dry, evaporative cooling of the skin or clothing doesn't occur.

Your experiment echos what I see with my Porsche 981 Boxster and my 2016 A6. Essentially, the A6 is pretty worthless when it comes to cooling. Today it was 104°F today and playing with the controls, I really couldn't tell if the cooling was working or not. It's the only real complaint I have about my new A6.