Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

VW Buyback program in the works for 2.0TDI, not 3.0TDI

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Without the defeat devices, the cars would definitely not pass federal or state certification or emissions tests. The defeat devices will allow an affected vehicle to pass emissions tests but when on the road the car will spew way more emissions than allowed by law. As I understand it, this was done through software that could determine when a car was being tested, hooked up to an OBD, steering angles, RPMs vs speed, etc. then throttling back the emissions.
In other words, VAG was fooling the regulators and owners who believed the cars met the regulations while in fact, they were not when driven in the road.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-21-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder what the language of the EPA regulations are that VW violated. If they say that the engine must emit no more than or less than “X” amount of the bad stuff in normal operation then VW cheated. On the other hand, if the regulations state only that the engines have to meet certain standards during the test, then maybe not. Violating the spirit of a regulation is not always the same as violating the regulation. How many people do hand flips to avoid being caught by rules and reg’s? A lot I am sure.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it looks like good old VW has set aside $18B to settle this whole mess according to news reports today.

I'm quite interested in seeing what they have up their sleeves for the 3.0. Back in Jan, Porsche models with the 3.0 were getting a new catalytic converter and sw program (for 2014) models, SW only for later models though that fix is still not approved by CARB. I wonder if it will be the same for the A6.

Thinking about it, if they gave me blue book value on the car based on Sept 2015 values before scandal up to two years from now + 5000, I'd have a very, very hard time not selling it back to them and getting something else even though I like the car.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Well, it looks like good old VW has set aside $18B to settle this whole mess according to news reports today.

I'm quite interested in seeing what they have up their sleeves for the 3.0. Back in Jan, Porsche models with the 3.0 were getting a new catalytic converter and sw program (for 2014) models, SW only for later models though that fix is still not approved by CARB. I wonder if it will be the same for the A6.

Thinking about it, if they gave me blue book value on the car based on Sept 2015 values before scandal up to two years from now + 5000, I'd have a very, very hard time not selling it back to them and getting something else even though I like the car.
It'd be a no brainer for me - I'll sell the car and buy either a Q7 TDI (if they decide to sell them; my local Audi SA is hinting this may be the end of diesels for Audi) or a X5 Diesel.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I plan on keeping mine unless they force me to neuter my car. I love the power and mileage and going to gas just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McFuzz
It'd be a no brainer for me - I'll sell the car and buy either a Q7 TDI (if they decide to sell them; my local Audi SA is hinting this may be the end of diesels for Audi) or a X5 Diesel.
Yeah, I intended to drive this car into the ground which is why I invested in a VAG-COM and service manuals and the fact that I legit like this car.

My wife wants something with a third row to shlep kids and their friends around, so maybe the Q7 is a good call, though I might just get a land cruiser and call it a day. I cannot fathom right now buying another VW with the TDI badge on it after this mess.

Anyways that's my internal monologue. I guess I should be happy that I've not bought the ski rack and whatever else for it. Regardless of buy back possibility, I think the $5K number will be higher for Audi/Porsche just because our loss in value will be more significant than the VW models: Time will tell.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transporter208
I plan on keeping mine unless they force me to neuter my car. I love the power and mileage and going to gas just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I hear you on that! However, turning back the clock on loss of value, the tainted TDI badge are all weighing on me.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To add to this, I went to my dealership (Audi Chantilly) yesterday as they had a 2016 TT-S with everything I wanted that I was going to see if they would hook me up as my A6 is my third new car from there. My 2015 P+ TDI with 9,000 miles is now worth a hair over $38k for trade-in. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed about this crazy devaluation and I really hop Audi has something planned for those of that spent $55-65k on these cars.

I love mine, but I'm definitely a serial trader, and I really don't want to keep this for my whole lease.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dc/dc
To add to this, I went to my dealership (Audi Chantilly) yesterday as they had a 2016 TT-S with everything I wanted that I was going to see if they would hook me up as my A6 is my third new car from there. My 2015 P+ TDI with 9,000 miles is now worth a hair over $38k for trade-in. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed about this crazy devaluation and I really hop Audi has something planned for those of that spent $55-65k on these cars.

I love mine, but I'm definitely a serial trader, and I really don't want to keep this for my whole lease.
Your numbers here are lining up with my own. My back of the napkin calculations say that the settlement should be in the 10K range (about double the VW settlement, makes sense because our cars were about double the cost) and if there is a buyback, that should be marginally beneficial too.

There are only 80K of these 3.0L cars out there, I cannot imagine them not giving the buy back option under the auspice of goodwill. This is about saving their reputation at this point. This is my first Audi and there is a high bar for me to stay with the family after this debacle.

Taking your other thread about tuning into account, I wouldn't do anything until you find out what VW is offering.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your numbers here are lining up with my own. My back of the napkin calculations say that the settlement should be in the 10K range (about double the VW settlement, makes sense because our cars were about double the cost) and if there is a buyback, that should be marginally beneficial too.

There are only 80K of these 3.0L cars out there, I cannot imagine them not giving the buy back option under the auspice of goodwill. This is about saving their reputation at this point. This is my first Audi and there is a high bar for me to stay with the family after this debacle.

Taking your other thread about tuning into account, I wouldn't do anything until you find out what VW is offering.
Those are my thoughts exactly. This is my third Audi, and that's the most I've ever bought from a manufacturer.

I'm not doing anything that can't be quickly removed.