Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Well the automatic panic stop feature works

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Well the automatic panic stop feature works

I've only had my A6 for about 3 weeks but already experienced the automatic braking feature which I had been wondering about. I was leaving a client meeting and heading out of a basement garage ramp when it just suddenly slammed on the brakes and stopped dead. Nothing in front of us, quite the adrenaline dump. It felt like we ran into a security gate or something.

It was a ramp that had a metal drainage grate across the angle (start of the ramp) which may have been the culprit but I don't know. Pretty weird since I was mid sentence discussing a car accident I was in years ago when it occurred.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering, were you on a flat surface, approaching the ramp (ramp angle?), at a "brisk" speed? In essence, was the car "seeing" the ramp, before engaging it?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Just wondering, were you on a flat surface, approaching the ramp (ramp angle?), at a "brisk" speed? In essence, was the car "seeing" the ramp, before engaging it?
Probably yeah, it slammed on the brakes right when the front tires hit the incline but I wasn't going to fast. I don't know how it decides what to do but the lower radars would have been approaching a decent grade concrete ramp at "eye" level.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a /15 3.0T -- wondering if I have this feature -- thinking not since have not had Cuba's experience in 1.5 years of ownership. Wife's Volvo S80 T6 has it (City Safe). Had same experience as Cuba in that car approaching gate arm leading out of office garage -- scared the sh*t out of me. Lesson learned: don't time the gate in the Volvo as embarrassing panic stop may result!

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I have a /15 3.0T -- wondering if I have this feature -- thinking not since have not had Cuba's experience in 1.5 years of ownership. Wife's Volvo S80 T6 has it (City Safe). Had same experience as Cuba in that car approaching gate arm leading out of office garage -- scared the sh*t out of me. Lesson learned: don't time the gate in the Volvo as embarrassing panic stop may result!

Best,
Jeff
Jeff I could be wrong but I think if you have the adaptive cruise control then it has the auto stop.

I've noticed the normally green ACC light will sometimes flash red in traffic when I'm not using ACC, maybe a warning that the car in front is close and moving slower than me. Is this also a warning that my car is considering whether or not to brake for me?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
Jeff I could be wrong but I think if you have the adaptive cruise control then it has the auto stop.

I've noticed the normally green ACC light will sometimes flash red in traffic when I'm not using ACC, maybe a warning that the car in front is close and moving slower than me. Is this also a warning that my car is considering whether or not to brake for me?

No ACC in my A6. I'm a total dinosaur as sportstick knows all too well. I want a return to *****/buttons/key to put in ignition/manual transmission -- LOL -- I do like power windows however. The fact that a 60K sticker car came without a dipstick made me totally crazy (so I pulled that stupid plug out of the tube and bought a dipstick to stuff in there).

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have been for the most part up until this car, nothing like a total lack of electrical gremlins and judging your car's health by sound and feel.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
Not sure about the 2013s, but in the 2016s, that red flashing car indicator means you're too close for the automatic stop feature to work. In other words, it won't be able to stop in time and you might park in the trunk of the car in front of you if they stop suddenly.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ricckky
Not sure about the 2013s, but in the 2016s, that red flashing car indicator means you're too close for the automatic stop feature to work. In other words, it won't be able to stop in time and you might park in the trunk of the car in front of you if they stop suddenly.
Thats neat as I always drive with ACC and sometimes test my self not to touch the breaks at all, in that case it would be nice with a flashing indicator. I assume that is only on 2016? thinking of it, my headup display actually sometimes turn red instead of green in the ACC distance indicator.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hhhoffme
Thats neat as I always drive with ACC and sometimes test my self not to touch the breaks at all, in that case it would be nice with a flashing indicator. I assume that is only on 2016? thinking of it, my headup display actually sometimes turn red instead of green in the ACC distance indicator.
Yeah they have a red flashing car icon in the instrument cluster (maybe under the speedometer) and also a red flashing car on the HUD.

Quick Reply: Well the automatic panic stop feature works