Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What is current thinking on replacing one vs two vs all four tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'm not certain what the current thinking is on fitting the new tires on the rear, but it seems Audis tend to wear the rears faster...at least that's what I've experienced with ours. I'm sure there are other rationales.
Yes, drifting is tougher on the rears.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'm not certain what the current thinking is on fitting the new tires on the rear, but it seems Audis tend to wear the rears faster...at least that's what I've experienced with ours. I'm sure there are other rationales.
I think the rationale is that understeer is more benign than oversteer, and most vehicles are prone to understeer. By fitting the more worn tires on the rear, the natural balance of the car has potentially been changed to oversteer as it would be easier for the rear of the car to "step out".
Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting analysis. And, contrary to what I would have thought to be the case, this article indicates that the same issue is present in all-wheel drive vehicles. Seems to be a consensus to put the newer tires on the rear, advice which I will follow.

Meanwhile, I am seriously thinking about leasing a 2016 and if so am likely to go with the sport package for even better grip and handling!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm going against the grain here and recommend replacing all four now. With only 4/32" left, the other three are going to need replacing very soon anyway. Traction below 4/32 is significantly reduced and 2/32 is the legal min in most locales.
TireRack seems to agree.
When is The Right Time to Replace Tires? - Tire Rack Team Blog | Tire Rack
Old 01-17-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, there's no doubt Steve will be back tire shopping again for two more tires in the not too distant future......
Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm going against the grain here and recommend replacing all four now. With only 4/32" left, the other three are going to need replacing very soon anyway. Traction below 4/32 is significantly reduced and 2/32 is the legal min in most locales.
TireRack seems to agree.
When is The Right Time to Replace Tires? - Tire Rack Team Blog | Tire Rack
I agree. I was in the same situation recently - the front tires were OK but the rears needed to be replaced (OEM Continentals with 36K miles on them). I bit the bullet and replaced all four with Michelin Premier A/S (highest rated tire in the category along with the Pirelli Cinturato on Tire Rack).

I think the OEM ContiProContact tires were junk. I bought the car with 3300 miles on it and the tires were never good in wet conditions and awful in the snow. The tire installer said two of the sidewalls split as he was taking them off the rims. Always amazes me how auto makers put crappy tires on their cars, especially ones in this category. Not a specific complaint against Audi, as BMW and Acura did the same thing.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has happened on 2 Audis we own. Measure the tread depth, call Tire Rack, order JUST ONE TIRE, and for $25 or so they will shave the new tire to the correct depth. Its worked perfectly on both cars.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mhemmeter
This has happened on 2 Audis we own. Measure the tread depth, call Tire Rack, order JUST ONE TIRE, and for $25 or so they will shave the new tire to the correct depth. Its worked perfectly on both cars.
Yup, that will work. But with only 4/10s that the OP currently has on the other three, he'll be replacing all five soon anyway instead four with that shaved tire purchase.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwboston
I agree. I was in the same situation recently - the front tires were OK but the rears needed to be replaced (OEM Continentals with 36K miles on them). I bit the bullet and replaced all four with Michelin Premier A/S (highest rated tire in the category along with the Pirelli Cinturato on Tire Rack).

I think the OEM ContiProContact tires were junk. I bought the car with 3300 miles on it and the tires were never good in wet conditions and awful in the snow. The tire installer said two of the sidewalls split as he was taking them off the rims. Always amazes me how auto makers put crappy tires on their cars, especially ones in this category. Not a specific complaint against Audi, as BMW and Acura did the same thing.
I have had Contis on my last 3 A6s, and have generally been pleased with them. I opted for a non-sport version of my current A6 and have enjoyed the ride quality (and lack of road noise) of these tires, without sacficing that much in handling and performance. I do agree that they are not great in the snow.

I decided to buy two new tires for one axel and wait and see as I may lease a new 2016. Audi usually implements better pricing and money factors after new models have been out for a few months, but the older tires on my car should still pass inspection by the time that happens.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve'sA6
I have had Contis on my last 3 A6s, and have generally been pleased with them. I opted for a non-sport version of my current A6 and have enjoyed the ride quality (and lack of road noise) of these tires, without sacficing that much in handling and performance. I do agree that they are not great in the snow.

I decided to buy two new tires for one axel and wait and see as I may lease a new 2016. Audi usually implements better pricing and money factors after new models have been out for a few months, but the older tires on my car should still pass inspection by the time that happens.
I was surprised how bad the Contis were in the snow, but they were unforgivable in the rain. Noticeable hydroplaning even when they only had 10,000 miles on them. The installer was adamant that they were the wrong tires for the car, since they were apparently the H-rated version and he thought they should be the V-rated version. He said couldn't recall having two sidewalls split like that when removing the tires.

Anyway, I'm happy with the Michelins so far. We'll see how they hold up as they get more miles on them.

Quick Reply: What is current thinking on replacing one vs two vs all four tires?