Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 231574

Default What are these red lights in my tachometer?

There are more lights in the tachometer that light up when the car starts, but these are the only ones that stay lit. I cannot figure out what they are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (56.9 KB, 453 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 89002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480Tyler View Post
There are more lights in the tachometer that light up when the car starts, but these are the only ones that stay lit. I cannot figure out what they are for.
That's the engine's RPM redline limit. Your gauge is showing 6200 RPMs as the limit. The RPM gauge, depending on what engine the car has, will have those segments light up to match the engine's redline, so no need for different gauge for different engines used.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member

Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 220087

They are the Tachometer Red Zone, same as in any other car.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia:
"...On analogue tachometers, speeds above maximum safe operating speed are typically indicated by an area of the gauge marked in red, giving rise to the expression of "redlining" an engine revving the engine up to the maximum safe limit. The red zone is superfluous on most modern cars, since their engines typically have a rev limiter which electronically limits engine speed to prevent damage. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer

2012 A6 Prestige [3.0/Phantom Black/Black/Aluminum Trim]
[20-inch Sport Package // LED Headlights // Audi Side Assist // Black Headliner]

My VAG Mods
[Needle Sweep // Video In Motion // Comfort Access Windows // D & S Gear Display // Front Amber Delete // Lap Timer // Adaptive Brake Lights]
Additional tested VAG Mods - [Hidden Menu]

NOTE: If you VAG-COM/VCDS for your car, PM me. I also try to schedule Audi Owners gatherings every so often.
Next Audi Owners Meetup(s): (w/ VAG-COM)
  • - San Jose - May 31st 2014 --> Audiworld Meetup Link
  • - Los Angeles - TBA June 2014
  • - Irvine(OC) - TBA June 2014
No Cost, just a fun gathering of Audi Owners (details to be posted in Audiworld Regional section depending on location).
manishaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishaudi View Post
They are the Tachometer Red Zone, same as in any other car.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia:
"...On analogue tachometers, speeds above maximum safe operating speed are typically indicated by an area of the gauge marked in red, giving rise to the expression of "redlining" an engine revving the engine up to the maximum safe limit. The red zone is superfluous on most modern cars, since their engines typically have a rev limiter which electronically limits engine speed to prevent damage. ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer
I am use to having them painted on the Tachometer. Welcome to the digital age I guess. Kept starting at it wondering what the heck these lights were for.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 93707

On the TDI, more glow when the motor is cold and then extinguish as the oil rises in temperature. Redline startS at 4,200 and when warm, 4,600. Pretty neat, but I doubt reving to 4,200 with cold oil is good for engine life.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273803

I think OP was referring to the smaller orange lights just inside the reducing redline lights. First time i saw those as well
Superfly_A6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 248305

It shows you your redline in parallel to coolant temperature. If the car is cold its at a lower rpm (more red lights are shown). It will gradually move to where the redline is. I know this from my E60 M5 it was the same way.
vigoureux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Banned
Account #: 267421

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigoureux View Post
It shows you your redline in parallel to coolant temperature. If the car is cold its at a lower rpm (more red lights are shown). It will gradually move to where the redline is. I know this from my E60 M5 it was the same way.
Yep, my X5M had the same thing.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 451

I'm curious, but when tuned, do the lights change to reflect the new rev limiter, assuming that changes at all?

l Previous: 2011 B8 S4 6MT l
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
alright, audi, led, lights, nuber, red, tachometer