Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why are some of the "hacks" not default features?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why are some of the "hacks" not default features?

Hi all...I'm 2 months into my new A6 and have been ready about the many hacks/tweaks that can be done if I purchase the Ross Tech stuff. (I debating if I'd use it enough beyond the once-and-done enabling some of these hacks to justify the spend...)

Amuway - dumb/curious question: why are these hacks not enabled by default? I suppose that I can understand liability w/r/t things like enabling the video which the car is in motion, but with things like the allowing the FOB to open/close windows and the needle sweep, I don't understand why Audi wouldn't just have that ~ standard.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbonawitz
Hi all...I'm 2 months into my new A6 and have been ready about the many hacks/tweaks that can be done if I purchase the Ross Tech stuff. (I debating if I'd use it enough beyond the once-and-done enabling some of these hacks to justify the spend...)
Why ask why - Audi of America makes very little sense on many levels.

IMO, consider a VCDS as a $300 option they forgot to make mandatory, buy it and enjoy. The hacks are worth the price of admission and the diagnostics are life savers.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've long suspected that not being able to close the windows with the key fob comes down to liability-related issues in the U.S. (closing them on a protruding neck, etc.) Many cars allow you to roll them down with the fob, but I'm not aware of any that you can roll them up with. No idea why they didn't even give us the roll down functionality, though. It sure is nice being able to vent the scalding hot air before you open the door.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There are probably several reasons why Audi (in North America) has the functions set the way they are, depending on which mod/feature is being referenced. Some are due to US regulations (i.e. VIM, most lighting mods, seat belt chime), some are to keep the average driver from screwing up the car (i.e. hidden menu, power train mods) and some, frankly, don't make much sense like gauge needle sweep, DIS gear display and key fob convenience windows (all of my Audis since 2000 have had the remote windows disabled from the factory). In other countries, many of these mods are already enabled.

Keep in mind, the Ross-Tech VCDS cable/software is not just for making mods. It can be used to check most functions of the car and help to diagnose issues. DIYers find the cable a necessity to perform certain tasks like battery reset, rear brake replacements, etc.. Also, since mods can occasionally be reverted to the default when some software updates are performed by the dealer, having the cable allows you to easily reset them. Finally, the cable will work on most previous Audis/VWs and likely will for many years to come; Ross-Tech updates the cable firmware and software on a regular basis as new models with additional features are released.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbars
I've long suspected that not being able to close the windows with the key fob comes down to liability-related issues in the U.S. (closing them on a protruding neck, etc.) Many cars allow you to roll them down with the fob, but I'm not aware of any that you can roll them up with. No idea why they didn't even give us the roll down functionality, though. It sure is nice being able to vent the scalding hot air before you open the door.
Not sure that's the reason as the window pinch sensors work the same with the fob as when using the door window switches.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it's by accident or stupidity that these things are the way they are. I think Audi is very careful about what is and is not offered in these vehicles, including all of these Easter egg goodies that can be enabled by VAG Com. I'm sure if we were on the inside at the right level where we could see the overall view of the marketplace and what Audi is trying to accomplish (ie increase profits) it would make a lot more sense than it does from our perspective.

That being said, if you want to enable a couple of feature it should not a hard decision to spend another 350 bucks after you've already spent 55k, 65k or more on one of these cars. If that doesn't work for you then keep in mind that these are minor tweeks that are entirely unnecessary to fully enjoy the fine engineering and craftsmanship that you have in your C7.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ronbars
Many cars allow you to roll them down with the fob, but I'm not aware of any that you can roll them up with.
I'm pretty sure the Mercedes E-class does this from the factory.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Audi specializes in not making two cars the same. If you include the ROW E.G. 4 door A5 and then include the listed options and available configurations including wheels, inlays, VAG-COM changes, engines etc then it seems that there are thousands of Audi's without ever duplicating the exact car.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gbonawitz

Amuway - dumb/curious question: why are these hacks not enabled by default? I suppose that I can understand liability w/r/t things like enabling the video which the car is in motion, but with things like the allowing the FOB to open/close windows and the needle sweep, I don't understand why Audi wouldn't just have that ~ standard.
I agree totally. Just got my Ross Tech cable yesterday. First off, actually doing the coding is much easier than I thought. Reading about how to do them online seemed difficult until I actually got it in hand. Probably took all of 10 minutes to get comfortable with it. I guess thats a big kudos to RT for the software.

The needle sweep was really a head scratcher. I remember buying my Suzuki Hayabusa back in 2000 and that was one of the coooolest things. Even my Wife's 09 CC has that enabled by default. The other things I guess are a liability of some sort. My biggest concern with the tweaks that I have done concern the LED DRL(not full LED). Is it safe running the @ 75% all the time? I assume that Audi drops them down low with the headlights on for a reason.

I too am debating if I will keep the cable or sell it. I plan to stay with Audi for a while to come so I hope this cable will still work for the C8. Dont know when I will use it again after my tweaks and the tweaks on my Wife's CC to include enabling her BT.

Last edited by BigDawg; 05-15-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure that's the reason as the window pinch sensors work the same with the fob as when using the door window switches.
I was just guessing. Several Honda and Acura models that I've owned allowed you to roll the windows down with the fob, but not back up.

Quick Reply: Why are some of the "hacks" not default features?