Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield chipped- need to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield chipped- need to replace

Guys,
Bad news
I-40 this evening ,80mph and wat happened i was afraid about.
Some freaking truck on my front throwed a stone straight at my windshield and yes its badly chipped.
Anyone have a recent experience changing windshield? Cost?
Thinking of getting oem at audi dealership itself to avoid potential problems with fixing and later rattles and stuff.Any advise will be helpful..
Its a audi a6 c7 3.0T prestige.

Thanks guys
Sherry
Old 02-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a HUD?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No HUD ,good point.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on your state and coverage.....in Arizona insurance isn't required to replace so I had to pay my $500 deductible, which was still a lot cheaper than paying outright.

Now that the first was over with I just lowered my deductible to $250 as the windshield coverage was an extra $50 per MONTH! No brainer on that decision.

I actually have a chip pretty similar to that on my current windshield and haven't even bothered as it hasn't spread, thankfully.

Last edited by Glacier6; 02-13-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Look for a windshield repair service. Mine got hit in the first 2 months, smaller star-type crack than yours, but it only cost me $75 for a guy to come out and fill it. Can barely notice it. I also have the HUD, so assume it'd be more expensive than normal to replace.

They should be able to tell you if it's too large for repair -- but have someone look at it ASAP before it starts to expand.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Looks repairable and center of the windshield, so not in your line of sight if I can tell correctly from that picture. Just contact your insurance, they probably have a partnership with Safelite or similar. Cost will be less than $100. Not sure how it is in NC, but in CA, glass repair is not subject to your comprehensive deductible.

Tip: Put Scotch tape on it to keep the dirt out of it. Will be a better repair if they don't have to drill a bigger hole to wash it out.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your insurance, many don't have a deductible for glass coverage.

Last edited by James517; 02-16-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Looks repairable and center of the windshield, so not in your line of sight if I can tell correctly from that picture. Just contact your insurance, they probably have a partnership with Safelite or similar. Cost will be less than $100. Not sure how it is in NC, but in CA, glass repair is not subject to your comprehensive deductible.
I USED Safelite twice for chip repair with great results. Both times the repair passed the end of lease inspection – kind of an acid test. If for some reason it does not work you can always replace the windshield later. Don’t forget, taking out the windshield and putting a new one in, although not a very big deal, can lead to issues like rattles, no longer water tight, and others. Safelite is less invasive into the mechanical of the Audi. In NYS the Safelite is totally free under insurance and does not affect your premiums.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Safelite for Repair and it really works out great--your chip is small enough to be repaired, no problem. A lot of insurance companies don't charge you a deductible if you opt for repair--that's free. If you don't like the way it looks after repair, you can always get the windshield replaced and pay your deductible.

Quick Reply: Windshield chipped- need to replace