Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield chipped- need to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
This morning repaied the chip at safelite. They charge me 108$, not bothering with the insurance.
Chip looks ok ,barely noticable if you dont look for it.
Here are some pics,time will tell if the crack stops here and whether it will hold up.

The chip is exactly in middle of the windshield ,so not in line of sight of the driver neither passenger. Thats a good thing.
Thanks for all suggestions and guidance!

Sherry

Last edited by sherrypeter_g; 02-14-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 02-14-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Depending on the state, most repairs are covered free of charge under your insurance. Safelite has a deal with many insurance companies so that is who they use. they are ok on repairs. Every repair firm uses the same repair materials and process so no difference on who you use. But if you ever have to replace your windshield, I would not use safelite.

Safelite makes their own glass - for a full replacement you are better off with someone who uses OEM glass or higher quality replacement glass like Pittsburgh Glass Works /PPG or Pilkington

Last edited by Maverick61; 02-14-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Depending on the state, most repairs are covered free of charge under your insurance. Safelite has a deal with many insurance companies so that is who they use. they are ok on repairs. Every repair firm uses the same repair materials and process so no difference on who you use. But if you ever have to replace your windshield, I would not use safelite.

Safelite makes their own glass - for a full replacement you are better off with someone who uses OEM glass or higher quality replacement glass like Pittsburgh Glass Works /PPG or Pilkington
Agree, if i ever had to change windshield its most likely at audi dealership.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

Tip: Put Scotch tape on it to keep the dirt out of it. Will be a better repair if they don't have to drill a bigger hole to wash it out.
+1
Old 02-15-2015, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joebird
+1
Wat i did to keep it clean
Old 02-15-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

It looks very high tech. 😉
Old 02-15-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an A6, but my current 2013 S5. Chip at lower edge of windshield, radiating toward the center. Directly in line of vision. My deductible for comp is $500 with Erie, the worlds cheapest company, who has free glass repairs, but not complete windshields. I got an estimate from Satellite, which was $380 with their glass, and $540 with OEM glass from Audi.

I checked with my local Audi dealer, Knopf, Allentown. They don't do windshields, just call in Safelite. I checked with my selling dealer, Reading Audi. They do windshields with OEM Audi glass. Their cost was $710. There is a 10% off coupon which drops it to $639, which is $99 more than Safelite. The process of removing the windshield is very complex. Reading Audi removes all of the trim and supplies the glass. Safelite comes in to install the glass, and Reading Audi completes the trim replacement.

I have used Satellite before. First time the vision was ripply on the right side of the windshield. Second time they broke the windshield wiper assembly, about a $150 mistake, which they covered. Third time they took off the sensor behind the mirror and broke it, it never fit again, had to use black electrical take on it. Looks like a bunch of bozos running the place. Never again.

Last edited by Fithian; 02-15-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

When it comes to replacing the windshield, you want to make sure you know what you are getting into. There are three kinds of glass. Aftermarket, OEM and Dealer. Lot of people think OEM and Dealer is the same, but it's not. OEM glass is aftermarket glass manufactured to OEM specs for the level of optical distortion etc., but it's not actually the same part that you get when you order from the dealer. Audi uses Acoustic glass, not on all cars, though. Look at the edged label in the windshield. If you have Acoustic glass, it should say Acoustic on it. If you want to have your windshield properly replaced, have your dealer order the correct glass and then take your car to whom they use. Dealers either do glass service themselves or they use an external company. It won't be Safelite, though. Most insurance companies now cover dealer glass at least during the first year of the car's life if you have rain sensors/cameras behind the rear view mirror. The dealer glass from what I've been told comes with a new rain sensor/camera part, because removing the old one and reattaching it to the replacement glass can cause issues. For example dirt could get trapped and impair the sensors.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-15-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine replaced 2012 prestige, took them a couple of days to get the right windshield with hud and stuff. They came and did it at the house. Dealer doesnt do it anyway. they the dealer call a windshield company. while they were replacing mine i got some dash protecter near the front of the windsheld so i didnt have to smear the windshield when i armor all it.

Quick Reply: Windshield chipped- need to replace