Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield chipped- need to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update from dealer - OEM windshield comes from Germany will take a week to arrive.
1299$ including cost for replacement.
Replacement is done by audi and a vendor(windshield replacement company I guess?)
Going to call my insurance to see what they going to say.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
When it comes to replacing the windshield, you want to make sure you know what you are getting into. There are three kinds of glass. Aftermarket, OEM and Dealer. Lot of people think OEM and Dealer is the same, but it's not. OEM glass is aftermarket glass manufactured to OEM specs for the level of optical distortion etc., but it's not actually the same part that you get when you order from the dealer. Audi uses Acoustic glass, not on all cars, though. Look at the edged label in the windshield. If you have Acoustic glass, it should say Acoustic on it. If you want to have your windshield properly replaced, have your dealer order the correct glass and then take your car to whom they use. Dealers either do glass service themselves or they use an external company. It won't be Safelite, though. Most insurance companies now cover dealer glass at least during the first year of the car's life if you have rain sensors/cameras behind the rear view mirror. The dealer glass from what I've been told comes with a new rain sensor/camera part, because removing the old one and reattaching it to the replacement glass can cause issues. For example dirt could get trapped and impair the sensors.

Update from dealer -
OEM windshield comes from Germany will take a week to arrive.
1299$ including cost for replacement.
Replacement is done by audi and a vendor(windshield replacement company I guess?)
Dealer did confirm order will be placed for "4G0845099NVB" which is in-line with the information got from forum here. Thanks to "Jatmobil" for that.

The current windshield on the car is made by Guardian and is Acoustic( higher level's of sound insulation) Thanks to "superswiss" for bringing this up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Guardian" - Manufacturer name.
"Acoustic" - higher level's of sound insulation.
"//" - Regular Multiple Layer Windshield.
"E11" - United Kingdom
"DOT22" - Made by guardian in AUBURN HILLS, MI, USA
"M45L1" - identifies the type of construction used by manufacturer.
"AS1" - “American Standard” , "1" denotes its the highest clarity of glass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Anyone can make sense of the other data on the pic here?
2) Does the windshield comes with rain sensors on them? Any recalibrations needed?
3) Do we need to replace the molding/weatherstripping?

Last edited by sherrypeter_g; 02-20-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not read all the posts, so this may have been covered. I have mine repaired if possible, and usually they are. BUT, they will try to get you to turn it into an insurance claim. BEWARE, I've had an insurance company tell me if they pay for the $35 repair that you cannot later have the same windshield replaced with insurance. Check that out. And yes, it has never cost me more than $35 for a repair paying cash out of pocket.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I have not read all the posts, so this may have been covered. I have mine repaired if possible, and usually they are. BUT, they will try to get you to turn it into an insurance claim. BEWARE, I've had an insurance company tell me if they pay for the $35 repair that you cannot later have the same windshield replaced with insurance. Check that out. And yes, it has never cost me more than $35 for a repair paying cash out of pocket.
I repaired with safelite first and the crack widened for whatever reason and need to replace unfortunately. Did not go thru insurance for the safelite repair , but will be for the replacement.
I have 500$ deductible which I will need to pay, remaining 800 insurance should cover.

Audi dealership confirmed the windshield coming will be "Sekurit" from Germany with audi logo. They need to confirm if it will be "acoustic"
Waiting to hear back.

The vendor who will be replacing the windshield is Automate glass works or something.

Last edited by sherrypeter_g; 02-20-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Originally Posted by sherrypeter_g
I repaired with safelite first and the crack widened for whatever reason and need to replace unfortunately. Did not go thru insurance for the safelite repair , but will be for the replacement.
I have 500$ deductible which I will need to pay, remaining 800 insurance should cover.

Audi dealership confirmed the windshield coming will be "Sekurit" from Germany with audi logo. They need to confirm if it will be "acoustic"
Waiting to hear back.

The vendor who will be replacing the windshield is Automate glass works or something.
Safelite guarantees that the repaired portion of the windshield will not crack further, or will credit the cost of repair towards replacement. I've done a repair once with Safelite (through my insurance) and I didn't like the result because the damage was right in my line of sight and opted for replacement. My insurance promptly paid for the replacement and I didn't even use Safelite for the replacement.

Safelite Warranty ? Safelite AutoGlass Warranty

Last edited by superswiss; 02-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Last weekend a rock put a nice chip in the center of my windshield. I called my insurance agent and she told me to call their glass partner, Glass America. She said it should be able to be repaired and would cost me nothing. GA came out and repaired the chip which while it was still noticeable, was much better.

Well, so much for that. Two days later I found the repaired chip had morphed into an 18" crack. Called the ins co and was told they would pay for a Pilkington which was what Glass America carries - if I wanted an Audi windshield, I would have to pay the difference. After a bit of whining, they agreed to pay for the Audi part no charge and it is on order.

Takeway: if your ins co will not support an OEM Audi brand windshield and if you want one, try whining until you get it. Especially if you've been with them for a few years.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

An update on my windshield....
Tim from Glass America came out to my house today to replace my Audi brand windshield. It was an exact match to the one that was in my A6 C7. Apparently both were made for Audi by Guardian which my installer said was definitely one of the best glass companies. It took him about an hour to remove all the cowlings and gaskets from under the hood to gain access to the bottom of he windshield, remove the rearview mirror electronics and housings and to remove and replace the glass. All in all, an excellent experience with Glass America.

According to the invoice being sent to my insurance company, the cost came to $750 including parts, labor and tax. My out of pocket cost = $0.00