Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tires or All Seasons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

This mornings commute here my snow tires more than paid for themselves, again...

When I left the house and we had all snow. As I progressed further towards the city conditions just kept deteriorating as I got closer to work. More and more ice on the highways and then the city streets. The last leg of my journey is all up hill. Long steep hills. First hill is straight. Second one has 3 turns as your going up it and its very steep too. First I had to avoid a large pickup truck that spun on ice going around a corner on the opposite side of the road. He was partially up on the curb. Then I had to drive around a tractor trailer stuck in the middle of the road going up the long hill, once I got around him I had to noodle around 2 other vehicles that were stuck on the ice in front of the tractor trailer on the hill. Several other cars were stuck on the hill with the 3 turns. Drove around all them too. Pretty spectacular trip today!

The A6 Quattro with 4 snows didn't even bat an eyelash.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 12-05-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I just bought some General Altimax Arctic 225/55/17's today and mounted them on some genuine Audi wheels that I bought used. Total cost was just over $700. Money well spent.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Just about every article that I have read states that snow tires are the best single item you can utilize for snow conditions, 4WD is always secondary to the tire choice. 2WD (particularly front wheel drive) with snow tires will be better off than 4WD with all seasons.
This is so very true! Years back when I put the first set of 4 Hakka R's on the wife's Caravan we were having a party at our house. It was snowing like all hell. Roads are snow covered, plowed occasionally. The snow is getting ahead of the plows at this point.

Our neighbor (Jeep Grand Cherokee with brand new no-season tires) has to run to town and takes our Caravan because her jeep is parked in.

She comes back from the trip, comes in the house and says "I didn't know your van was all wheel drive. It was great in this snow!"

Only problem is that it was only FWD.

I put snows on everything we own, even my 4wd trucks. It's about being prepared. It's about that one time when you're running late, get caught in a storm, have to take a different way home, low on gas, no food in the car, etc. etc.

Remove weak links. A modern jet airplane doesn't crash unless at least 7 mistakes were made. Don't put yourself at a disadvantage in the snow by starting out without good tires.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just leave this here.....reportedly, no one was injured in this event from yesterday. Love the police car with lights ablaze and the salt truck furiously spinning out grains...a bit late and unfortunately not in front!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I bet all those Montreal vehicles were equipped with snow tires.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I bet all those Montreal vehicles were equipped with snow tires.
Of course! The ones on all-seasons flew by so quickly, the camera couldn't see them!

(we need a ROTFL emoji!)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,159 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pascals
This is so very true! Years back when I put the first set of 4 Hakka R's on the wife's Caravan we were having a party at our house. It was snowing like all hell. Roads are snow covered, plowed occasionally. The snow is getting ahead of the plows at this point.

Our neighbor (Jeep Grand Cherokee with brand new no-season tires) has to run to town and takes our Caravan because her jeep is parked in.

She comes back from the trip, comes in the house and says "I didn't know your van was all wheel drive. It was great in this snow!"

Only problem is that it was only FWD.

I put snows on everything we own, even my 4wd trucks. It's about being prepared. It's about that one time when you're running late, get caught in a storm, have to take a different way home, low on gas, no food in the car, etc. etc.

Remove weak links. A modern jet airplane doesn't crash unless at least 7 mistakes were made. Don't put yourself at a disadvantage in the snow by starting out without good tires.
People are so surprised they make a difference, but once you get them you never want to go back. It's cheap insurance as you said in your last paragraph.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
I'll just leave this here.....reportedly, no one was injured in this event from yesterday. Love the police car with lights ablaze and the salt truck furiously spinning out grains...a bit late and unfortunately not in front!
My son and I were watching this. he is 19 and very accomplished in Rallycross and in doing Car 00 and safety sweep at stage rallies.

As soon as the sand truck entered the frame he commented "he should have backed down the hill with the sander running"
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pascals
As soon as the sand truck entered the frame he commented "he should have backed down the hill with the sander running"
Yes but at least he kept the plow down!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Quebec winter tires mandatory as of Dec. 15 - Montreal - CBC News

Guess they shouldn't have waited until the absolute deadline to switch to their legally required winter boots. However, I have to wonder if a set of dedicated winter tires on that hill which was probably like a skating rink would have enabled all of those vehicles to avoid disaster. Not at all questioning wisdom of winter tires -- in this particular case just wondering, that's all.

Best,
Jeff