Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Worst Nav system in industry

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I have brought it back to the service department. They sit in my car and plug in addresses. We get about a 40% success rate. Then we all shake our heads and laugh. They admit the system doesn't work well, not just my car but for other customers that also complain to them. As I mentioned we are not even using the more complex longitude and latitude based addresses that 250,000 people in IL and Wisc have. The system will not even accept those addresses.

It's a big deal to me because when I get in the car to go to a business meeting and have zero confidence that the navigation will work causing me to be late. When I'm sitting in the Best Buy parking lot and it tells me the closest Best Buy is 15 miles away, then I think I have a legitimate complaint. It's a big deal that before my wife and I go anywhere she takes the Nuvi from her car because she hates to see me spend 10 minutes trying to get the Audi Nav system to work

Last post on this subject
Old 08-08-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this was mentioned before, but if you are telling me that the Google Online Destination info for Best Buy is off like that, I am pretty surprised. If you are saying that a Navigation system doesn't have every Best Buy in it I am not surprised...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a couple of blunders finding correct addresses in San Francisco. I also cant say that the routing algorithm calculating the shortest/fastest (depending how u program it) route is flawless. A lot if times my knowledge of local area works better vs what nav shows. Having said, however, this is not the worst nav system. I would say it is decent but with few blemishes. Taking to a wrong address is the map's fault (whoever input the data into map that needs to be updated). The Audi's fault has more to do with routing algorithm. They need to update that. Otherwise, I would give a solid 7 out 10.

Last edited by salvadorik; 08-08-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I had a couple of blunders finding correct addresses in San Francisco. I also cant say that the routing algorithm calculating the shortest/fastest (depending how u program it) route is flawless. A lot if times my knowledge of local area works better vs what nav shows. Having said, however, this is not the worst nav system. I would say it is decent but with few blemishes. Taking to a wrong address is the map's fault (whoever input the data into map that needs to be updated). The Audi's fault has more to do with routing algorithm. They need to update that. Otherwise, I would give a solid 7 out 10.
Navteq is the map, POI and routing algorithm provider for Audi. They also provide the same data for Mercedes, VW, BMW and many others (4 out of 5 auto manufacturers use Navteq). They also partner with Garmin, Yahoo maps, Bnig maps, Mapquest and Sirius/XM for traffic. (Navteq is owned by Nokia).

The only part of the system designed and programmed by Audi is the screen presentation, MMI interface and GUI. It's possible that some data is not coded properly to interface with the MMI resulting in some address incompatibilities as noted in the thread (one could point the finger at Audi, Navteq or both on this). Audi also decides which and how much POI data they will purchase from Navteq for the car's internal POI database, more than likely limited by the hard drive's available capacity which shares space with the MMI system and Jukebox. Online Google POI data are limited only by Google's full database which is far more extensive than the what Audi provides for the car's own internal database.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the Audi system needed the exact placement of the North in an address. The business card said:

3897 N Haverhill Rd, West Palm Beach FL

When I first tried it by voice recognition (not Google online destinations), it took N Haverhill Rd but only had the 5000-5399 block of numbers. Subsequent voice recognition attempts came back with the wrong street, e.g. Avendale Rd.

I tried manually typing in N Haverhill Rd and it wasn't in there. But when I tried just typing in Haverhill Rd, I found it, and the N was on the end. When I checked Google maps, it is indeed officially called Haverhill Rd N. Strange because the street parallel to it is officially called N Military Trail.

So there was a bit of a mistake on the business card. I don't really blame Audi because I've had difficulty finding addresses in Garmin, Tom Tom and Google Maps as well at some point or another.

I NEVER completely trust ANY nav and always try to verify the address in some form such as the street intersection, verify the route, and have some idea of the area especially if it is far away, and even more so if I am unfamiliar with it.

I don't have Audi Connect anymore but I believe when using Google maps to send to car, in the car you had the option of selecting the address, or the exact latitude and longitude coordinates of the location you sent? This would be very handy because it is easier to visually verify the location on Google Maps, especially with street view, and then go to the exact coordinates, even if the car does not have the address in its database.

Lastly, for the address 11N230 Westwood Drive, the Audi system will not accept the N230 part at all. You can enter the 11 part, and it will only take you to the 1 mile block on that street, 11 miles north of Chicago or whatever the reference point is. If there is another address on the Southside on that street e.g. 11S230, then you might just be S.O.L. Sending Google Maps coordinates to the car may be your best bet.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Europe now and I am constantly impressed, even shocked by the accuracy of the Nav in my A6 (bought Feb 2013). Maybe it's because Europe is so dense and not much changes around here? Anyway, we have now driven extensively in 5+ countries (CHE, ITA, FRA, DEU, AUS) and -- in addition to the big streets, highways, etc. -- the Nav has found every single country road, back road, alley, and rural address without a fail.

Also very impressed with the actual display of lanes, intersection, etc, on the Nav, Driver dash and HUD.

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
2 months ago when i received my new A6 I detailed all the issues with the Navigation system. 50% success rate on simple addresses like 118 Main st Chicago IL. On more complex addresses that are longitude and latitude based that you would find in the Chicago area like 11N230 westwood drive and 15S430 Nothridge, etc the success rate is about 15%. The sad part is that there are at least 1/4 million address like this in the Chicago/Wisconsin area. My favorites are when I'm sitting in the Best Buy parking lot, search for Best Buy and the BB I'm at is not recognized. It shows the closet one 20 miles away. Had this same thing happen at chain restaurants.

Maybe some of you have had wonderful experiences with this Nav system, but I think it's garbage and the Audi Exec in chatrge of the Nav division needs to be fired. It's just not me. The dealer salesperson laughs about it also as we sit there and try to find addresses to no avail.

My wife forces me to bring a reliable well designed system with us when we go out in my car (Nuvi)

Too bad Audi does not read these forums
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I'm sitting in the Best Buy parking lot and it tells me the closest Best Buy is 15 miles away, then I think I have a legitimate complaint.

Last post on this subject
Or when it tells me the nearest on ramp to a major highway is half a mile away, when its half a block from me. Love my S 7 but the nav is a joke. Had many examples of crazy routings. The system in the infiniti M I traded in was much better.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought I would clarify one comment on the MMI system. Navteq is the provide of the maps/POI, however, Harman International is the integrator and provider of the entire infotainment system in the A6. This includes the programming, routing algorithms, etc. Harman is the largest provider of infotainment systems to the German OEM's with both BMW and VW/Audi as their two largest customers, as well as Mercedes, and many other OEM's such as Porsche. Although no navigation system is perfect, Harman has extensive experience in navigation and is considered one of the best. Audi does help spec the design and look of the ***** and interface we all use to interact with the MMI as well as which content it will include (nav, Bluetooth, news and weather, vehicle diagnostics, music, video, etc.) but Harman is the integrator and owns the programming code which integrates it all into the MMI.
Originally Posted by snagitseven
Navteq is the map, POI and routing algorithm provider for Audi. They also provide the same data for Mercedes, VW, BMW and many others (4 out of 5 auto manufacturers use Navteq). They also partner with Garmin, Yahoo maps, Bnig maps, Mapquest and Sirius/XM for traffic. (Navteq is owned by Nokia).

The only part of the system designed and programmed by Audi is the screen presentation, MMI interface and GUI. It's possible that some data is not coded properly to interface with the MMI resulting in some address incompatibilities as noted in the thread (one could point the finger at Audi, Navteq or both on this). Audi also decides which and how much POI data they will purchase from Navteq for the car's internal POI database, more than likely limited by the hard drive's available capacity which shares space with the MMI system and Jukebox. Online Google POI data are limited only by Google's full database which is far more extensive than the what Audi provides for the car's own internal database.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2 months ago when i received my new A6 I detailed all the issues with the Navigation system. 50% success rate on simple addresses like 118 Main st Chicago IL. On more complex addresses that are longitude and latitude based that you would find in the Chicago area like 11N230 westwood drive and 15S430 Nothridge, etc the success rate is about 15%. The sad part is that there are at least 1/4 million address like this in the Chicago/Wisconsin area. My favorites are when I'm sitting in the Best Buy parking lot, search for Best Buy and the BB I'm at is not recognized. It shows the closet one 20 miles away. Had this same thing happen at chain restaurants.

Maybe some of you have had wonderful experiences with this Nav system, but I think it's garbage and the Audi Exec in chatrge of the Nav division needs to be fired. It's just not me. The dealer salesperson laughs about it also as we sit there and try to find addresses to no avail.

My wife forces me to bring a reliable well designed system with us when we go out in my car (Nuvi)

Too bad Audi does not read these forums
I have a 2016 Audi A6 and my 2012 BMW NAV was a thousand times worse. I cannot tell you how many times it had me driving in a completely different area. The NAV in my 2006 Lexus Sc 430 was better than the BMW. The Audi's is fantastic.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I find that the Nav system in my A3 and now in my 2016 A6 works perfectly. Have not had any problems whatsoever. Worst nav in the industry? I don't agree.

Quick Reply: Worst Nav system in industry