Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

WOW! What is stability/traction control actually doing, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW! What is stability/traction control actually doing, and why?

Madison, NJ, entrance to I-287S, turning left, merge coming my way from my right -- pushed into the turn to make the gap, and on a very bumpy patch of pavement about 200' long, the car comes to a DEAD STOP.

Now, that's just dangerous, in my mind.

First, is that an actual documented behavior of the system?

Second, if I just shut that system off in daily, dry pavement driving, what's going to really change?

I'll take the car out soon to really play with it to see what it will do in the real world, but, for now, I trust it less.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you were pushing it pretty hard over some pretty aggressive bumps to make the TC kick in that hard. If it was in a turn and caused a lot of wheel hop I can see this happening. Most people slow down over bumps :-P

In dry conditions TC is not needed. The only time it will kick in is if your tires break loose from the pavement. IE: Pushing the car hard in a turn or hitting enough bumps at high speed to create wheel hop.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never saw the rough patch at all -- And, yes, wheel hop, and, yes, full throttle almost.

I'll have to play with it having turned the system OFF, similar conditions.

I wonder what it will do in tight turns with the system off....

I'm pretty sure if I really want to 0-60 (?) the car, it should be off. It seems to choke it back, just a touch.

Thank you for the response. I'll watch those bumpy patches.

On the ramp coming in from my right, I never imagined that guy would blow the yield and push in that quickly. I suppose, being Jersey and all (kidding) that could have been an NYC driving veteran, such as myself, who, really, isn't kidding. Fortunately, he saw me. If not, well.....
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not judging, I live in NJ, don't have to explain bumpy roads to me. lol Our state symbol should be a road cone.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

ROFL! I'm in SE PA. Truckers say there are two seasons here; winter, and construction.

There are bad drivers everywhere. I think it is something about the configuration of roads up near NYC which really cause the best of the best to show up. Besides, the second you know what NYC is like, no other US city is ever a problem to drive in. I think I lapsed and underestimated that SUV.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

On the ramp coming in from my right, I never imagined that guy would blow the yield and push in that quickly. I suppose, being Jersey and all (kidding) that could have been an NYC driving veteran, such as myself, who, really, isn't kidding. Fortunately, he saw me. If not, well.....

In Jersey, if you look at the other driver you give up your right-of-way. The key is to keep your head straight ahead and just move your eyes, so the other driver can't see your head move.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

For 0-60 TC stays ON. I did tons of testing with this when I put on the ChipWerke module. The car is several tenths quicker with the system on.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^ ok