Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel or Opticoat

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel or Opticoat

I just received a quote to install Xpel on the front of my new car and was wondering if folks thought it was worth the investment. I plan to have car Opti-coated and wondering if the Xpel is a bit of overkill? Opinions and experience much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote, Opti.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C21bill
I just received a quote to install Xpel on the front of my new car and was wondering if folks thought it was worth the investment. I plan to have car Opti-coated and wondering if the Xpel is a bit of overkill? Opinions and experience much appreciated.
I don't think that it's overkill. It will keep the paint looking new for years. Get X-Pel ultimate paint protection film first. Apply clear paint coatings second. The film will not stick if coatings are applied first.

Some threads about Opti coat -

Opti-coat and carnuba wax

Is the 3M protective Car film worth it? - Page 4 - AudiWorld Forums

Easy way to shine A6? - AudiWorld Forums
Old 01-18-2015, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I went xpel ultimate and have been very happy with it.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I went both. I view them as two different products with two different purposes. Opti isn't going to stop a rock.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Opti-coat and Xpel Ultimate have two different purposes and can be used together.

Xpel Ultimate - will prevent pock ships from damaging the paint. Best if applied on full front, A-pillars, headlights and rocker panels. A piece applied on the bumper by the trunk opening is also recommended. Looks best when the fenders and hood have edges wrapped. (Requires an installer to have a 60" roll to cut a single piece for the hood).

Opti-Coat - will help prevent fading and paint damage from insects, bird droppings and other environmental damage. Alleviates need for waxing as it will maintain it's shine indefinitely. My Opti-Coat Pro was installed over the Xpel Ultimate.

Everything still looks great after more than two years. No rock chips on the bumper or hood and the paint is still glossy. I don't even bother to wax anymore as it adds nothing to the look, only a slick feel for a couple of weeks. The Opti-coat provides a very high surface tension so water rolls right off and wax doesn't "stick" well to the surface so doesn't last long (but not really needed).

Bottom line: go for both. Great investments for a $50K+ automobile.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned, different functions.

I had a laser-cut Xpel 'bra' installed that included all of the front-end, headlights, and also my mirrors. You can see a faint line on the front-end where the Xpel stops. Doesn't bother me, and was less expensive than doing to whole front-end of the car. I did have an old piece of tire hit my front-end on the bra, which caused a black scuff mark. I just waxed it off and looks good.