Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel Ultimate

Old 11-26-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Agree - all about the labor cost. Might just go to Snag's location in MA to get it done if the numbers make sense...
Call Rick Nelson at Unique Car Care and mention Glenn of AudiWorld referred you. He will not be the least expensive you may find but he will be among the best in the country. Ask about Opti-Coat Pro and Plus or CQuartz while you're at it.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Snag. Going to compare them and a highly reviewed place in LI.

What was your rationale for doing both Xpel and OptiCoat Pro? Trying to balance cost and effectiveness.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Thanks, Snag. Going to compare them and a highly reviewed place in LI.

What was your rationale for doing both Xpel and OptiCoat Pro? Trying to balance cost and effectiveness.
Two different products for two completely different protection types.

Xpel Ultimate film - for protection against paint chips from rocks and light scratches; self-healing properties and film has it'd own clear coat top layer like the car's paint. Virtually transparent and invisible after installation.

Opti-Coat Pro - for protection of the paint (and film) from UV fade, insects, acid rain and other contaminants.Also protects against paint swirls when washing/drying; no waxing needed and harder for dirt to adhere. The optional extra Plus layer adds additional gloss and slickness to the Opti-Coat Pro application layer.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Snag it, all in, what was your total cost for the install of both "mods" as you did them?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by schalliol
Snag it, all in, what was your total cost for the install of both "mods" as you did them?
In 2012, I paid about $1600 for the full front Xpel Ultimate including hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, A pillars and rocker panels. All were custom cut (no kits) and the hood and fenders had wrapped edges. I believe I paid about $400 for the Opti-Coat Pro including full paint prep over the entire car including wheels. When I had the Opti-coat reapplied after my accident this summer, I had them add the new Plus layer as well. While the insurance covered the replacement film and coatings, I think my installer charged another $300 for the Plus layer. Keep in mind the original costs were done n 2012 so pricing would probably be more today.

If I had to start from scratch now to have the same work done with my installer, I'm guessing it would run about $2500 all in with the additional Opti-Coat Plus layer. I would still do it today in a heartbeat. Even just before the accident, the car looked like new after three years with no paint chips and no waxing.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Rear ended video

Had trouble getting the video off of my dash cam and converted for a while for my mac. So I had to record it directly from the camera display. You can see it clear enough. However you can't tell how steep the hill is, but it is very steep indeed.

The minimal damage to the bumper cover and rear diffuser. There is some damage under it all including some sensors. I am still waiting for part from Germany since the repair shop ordered the wrong parts...

The film is scratched and the bumper cover is safe. Very impressed and pleased with the product.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

…dash/rear cams are amazing
Old 11-30-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Had trouble getting the video off of my dash cam and converted for a while for my mac. So I had to record it directly from the camera display. You can see it clear enough. However you can't tell how steep the hill is, but it is very steep indeed.
https://youtu.be/ibgzQM208U0
A bit of thread drift here.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
A bit of thread drift here.
???

I the Xpel rep asked to show the video and photo of how the film protected the car. I was just showing what happened in my accident. i believe the film protected the bumper cover from being repainted.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know. Just kidding. Didn't you note my wink imoji?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate