Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro - Three year road test

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro - Three year road test

Xpel Ultimate Film

Xpel offers several different films. Xpel Ultimate, their top of the line, is significantly different than their other films as well as other brands. It is thicker than other films, is the only one on the market with a built in clearcoat top layer (like the car's paint) and most importantly, is the only film that has the ability to recover it's original shape when hit by road debris - self healing. The above is why Xpel Ultimate costs more than other films.
I did have one small defect on the hood piece (the most expensive of the components) and after speaking to Xpel, they authorized my installer to replace the piece at no cost under their 10 year warranty). Great customer service.
Visit Self Healing Paint Protection Film - XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film for more info.

Opti-Coat Pro Paint Protection

Opti-Coat Pro by Optimum (a double thick version than the DIY Opti-Coat product and only available by franchised installers) can be applied over the Ultimate film like other areas of the car's body and wheels. This lifetime product is designed to protect the paint against UV, bugs, acid rain and other environmental contaminates with the added advantage of no waxing necessary. (There is now an Opti-Coat Pro+ product available but I have no experience with it).

Three year road Test

I had both Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro installed 3 years ago and after I wash the car, my finish looks as good as when new. I've had no issues including not one paint chip or yellowing with the Ultimate (other than the small issue as mentioned above) and water still rolls right off the Opti-Coat and shines like it was delivered yesterday. I haven't needed to wax (while waxing will add some slickness to the finish, it doesn't add any additional shine that I can detect and the wax will only last a couple of weeks due to the hydro resistant properties of the Opti-Coat).

Costs

As I've reported in other threads, my cost for a full front install including paint prep, custom-cut full front (no pre-cut kit), mirrors, A pillars, rocker panels with wrapped edges on hood and fenders (no visible seams) ran around $1600 three years ago in Massachusetts. Expect a full car application of Opti-Coat Pro to run around $350-400. Location, local competition and perhaps most importantly, the reputation and skill of the installer will dictate pricing.

Bottom Line

I have no regrets with the expense and consider these products the best investment to a car I've ever made. After spending $65K on my A6, I am glad I went the extra mile and had both of these products installed. And no, I'm not an employee or spokesperson for either company. I just really like their stuff.
<aside id="div-gpt-ad-14" class="" style="margin: 0 auto; width: 300px; padding-bottom: 10px"> </aside> __________________

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

I have had Xpel Uktimate on my car for nearly a year and it is a great product. I have no regrets.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

I have no regrets with the expense and consider these products the best investment to a car I've ever made. After spending $65K on my A6, I am glad I went the extra mile and had both of these products installed.
Thanks for the review, snagit -- I've also been happy with Xpel Ultimate, but am just getting around to having Opticoat done this summer. Am also considering either Opticoat or 22PLE for my wheels (to shed brake dust) -- anybody have any feedback on that?