Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel Yellowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel Yellowing

Today my friend parked his A6 next to mine and I noticed that my Xpel is yellowing. Please tell me I am not imagining things.

Folk with Xpel, can you please look at yours and tell me if this is normal?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this the Xpel Ultimate? In 3 years mine looks as good as when new with no yellowing. I see a color lightness difference but I can't really see yellowing in the photo. Are you sure these aren't just slight variations in paint lots from the factory? It's not unheard of.
More importantly, can you detect a yellowing difference on your paint to the areas not covered with the film?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it is Xpel Ultimate. My buddy's car is actually black and mine is moonlight blue. The yellowing is not that obvious on the paint because of the dark color. I have to look very hard on the paint from an angle to see the yellowing tint. It is pretty obvious on light color such as the silver background of the headlight. I was looking at my old photos prior to Xpel and I did not see any yellowing on the headlight. I have contacted Xpel and will pay the installer a visit to have them review. Yellowing makes the car look old.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok.. Just took another shot comparing apple to apple. One photo is prior to Xpel and another is after. I guess you can tell the difference here. I'm a little disappointed.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Ok.. Just took another shot comparing apple to apple. One photo is prior to Xpel and another is after. I guess you can tell the difference here. I'm a little disappointed.

How long have you had the Xpel? Also are you using the exact same camera/phone for both photos? Even the software update for iPhone can make the image look different. I can see there is a bit of a color change. But you should be happy you used Xpel, considering they have a warranty on it.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
How long have you had the Xpel? Also are you using the exact same camera/phone for both photos? Even the software update for iPhone can make the image look different. I can see there is a bit of a color change. But you should be happy you used Xpel, considering they have a warranty on it.
Good question. Different camera for the 2nd photo. But there is no denying the presence of yellowish tint. The first photo was taken using the same camera, same time, different car. Not to mean comparing with another A6, now that I can see that the rest of the cars in the parking lot has whiter headlights than my A6.

Edit* I had Xpel for 9 months.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Could have been a deficiency in a specific lot during manf. of the film. Xpel will take care of it. They even call out yellowing in their 10 year warranty IIRCC. In any case, it's a pretty rare thing or we would hear lots more about it by now.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
Today my friend parked his A6 next to mine and I noticed that my Xpel is yellowing. Please tell me I am not imagining things.

Folk with Xpel, can you please look at yours and tell me if this is normal?
Fearme,

Do you still live where you had the XPEL ULTIMATE installed? If so, please take it to your installer to check it out, as our installers are able to process the warranties with us.

If not PM us your information (location/contact info) and we will go from there to get it taken care of. Have a great day!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just came back from the installer and have him removed the film from the headlight. Then slap it in a piece of white plastic. I did notice a slight tint of yellowing.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I had my Ultimate installed I recall I was told the headlight pieces are not the of the Ultimate series but from one of their other products. Not sure why but could have something to do with either the heat generated from the lamps or because it's installed over plastic rather than the painted metal surfaces.

Quick Reply: Xpel Yellowing