Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel Yellowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPEL Yellowing

Looks like you have 2 different films as they do install a PVC type film on headlights that's thicker but...is not Ultimate.

Ultimate usually last 2-4 years before yellowing takes place in the urethane, it's not your cars paint.

The film that is on headlights does not have same warranty and does not last very long...maybe 1-2 years.

QUOTE=fEArmE;24686025]Ok.. Just took another shot comparing apple to apple. One photo is prior to Xpel and another is after. I guess you can tell the difference here. I'm a little disappointed.

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-15-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
When I had my Ultimate installed I recall I was told the headlight pieces are not the of the Ultimate series but from one of their other products. Not sure why but could have something to do with either the heat generated from the lamps or because it's installed over plastic rather than the painted metal surfaces.
It is Xpel Ultimate per the installer. I am hoping this is a bad batch.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane31
Ultimate usually last 2-4 years before yellowing takes place in the urethane, it's not your cars paint.

The film that is on headlights does not have same warranty and does not last very long...maybe 1-2 years.
I disagree. Xpel warranties the Ultimate for 10 years including against yellowing partly due to the clear coat layer only found in this film. Mine has no yellowing whatsoever after 3 years.
Same with my headlight film - no yellowing.
(The OP never said his paint was yellowing, only the film which I believe is a defect, not the norm with Ultimate).
Old 05-16-2015, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes - all manufacturers offer warranty against yellowing.
Yellowing is part of chemistry that's why it's listed on everyone's Warranty Card...it can happen and there is a chance yellowing won't happen.

I look at PPF as a protection of Paint and and ROI for my cars...if yellowing happens I have it replaced.

I have seen paint manufacturers offer several white color alternates with a yellow hue...tone and you can't overcome it change the appearance of the basecoats.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

When I talked to the top XPel installer in my town, he said he did not want to do my car because it was white. He said the film would turn yellow and he would have to replace it under warranty, and he didn't like replacing film under warranty so he didn't want to do the job.

While that's kind of a BS attitude, I guess one must respect the honesty.

Anyway, I had another installer do the film on my car. He was a lot cheaper, too.

Only time will tell as to whether or not my film will turn yellow.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes - all manufacturers offer warranty against yellowing.
But not for 10 years as does Xpel on their Ultimate product. If it were true that all or even a large portion of their installs had to be replaced due to yellowing, one would have to ask why stick their neck out on such a long period of time? That wouldn't be a good business model.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default XPEL Yellowing

I understand and warranties range from 5,7, 10, to lifetime in the urethane business, it's marketing 101. All films offer great value and I preview the installers as they are the ones that stand behind there workmanship and manufacturer warranties. Although I just read a press release that XPEL is leaning and (have there own) company owned retail stores by having there own company installation teams therefore eliminating the independent installer which could cause havoc for many consumers and installers.

But not for 10 years as does Xpel on their Ultimate product. If it were true that all or even a large portion of their installs had to be replaced due to yellowing, one would have to ask why stick their neck out on such a long period of time? That wouldn't be a good business model.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just read a press release that XPEL is leaning and (have there own) company owned retail stores by having there own company installation teams therefore eliminating the independent installer which could cause havoc for many consumers and installers.
I seriously doubt they would eliminate the entire quality installer network they've developed over years just because they decide to open some of their own outlets. Reference Apple for example - they have not eliminated their many other retailers despite their robust and popular company owned stores. Retailing 101.

In any case, they might also want to tighten up the quality of their current installer network and get rid of some "dead wood" which would certainly benefit consumers.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I certainly would not use the apple case study with XPEL.

The issue is yellowing and all films yellow over time, warranties are as good as the paper there written and as I mentioned the installers will be handling the warranties.
I seriously doubt they would eliminate the entire quality installer network they've developed over years just because they decide to open some of their own outlets. Reference Apple for example - they have not eliminated their many other retailers despite their robust and popular company owned stores. Retailing 101.

In any case, they might also want to tighten up the quality of their current installer network and get rid of some "dead wood" which would certainly benefit consumers.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The issue is yellowing and all films yellow over time, warranties are as good as the paper there written and as I mentioned the installers will be handling the warranties.
Please include any case studies that would indicate that Xpel Ultimate, a film quite unique in design from other films, i.e. clear coat surface layer, will yellow over time. (You might also want to check out their website to read about the Ultimate product and their 10 year warranty).

BTW, while installers will be doing the work to replace Xpel films under the defect warranty, the manf. will reimburese them for material and labor. So yes, a warranty is only as good as the paper it was written on but more importantly the reputation of the manufacturer - Xpel has an excellent track record for customer service since they were formed in 1999.

I believe we have exhausted this line of discussion.

Quick Reply: Xpel Yellowing