A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

01' A6 Drivers Door Will Not Open.....???

Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' A6 Drivers Door Will Not Open.....???

Hi, I am new to the site and fairly new with Audi. I bought an 01' Audi A6 Quattro a few months back. It has had some quirks but all in all has been a great car. Here is my problem, yesterday I decided to fix the micro-switch in my door latch that allows my dome light and chime to work correctly, long story short, I took it all apart and installed the new switch and reassembled everything, slid the door card back on to just test it. Everything worked perfect, door open and closed better than before, interior lights come on as expected, chime works fine.

I wanted to check and make sure everything is working correctly, I locked the doors with the FOB remote, and unlock, looking at the lock buttons, everything seemed to be fine, until I went to open the door again, now it is "forever locked". Cant get it to do anything, from the inside, from the outside, lock, unlock many different times, tap here, tap there, and nothing, even unhooked the battery overnight to see if maybe it was a security option and it would reset its self, and still nothing. Everything else works fine, just cant open the door.

In an eager battle to try and get my door open to find the problem I have managed to drill the lock out for the key and somewhat prying the door panel away from the top of the door to see what is going on, everything looks as it should, from what i can actually see through a 3" gap. I am looking for some help on getting this door open, i would prefer not to cause any more damage than I have already.

Please Help
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SO i take it the problem is with the remote? I didn't read that you turned the physical key....

Pls clarify.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried the key, all I can do with it is unlock/lock windows up/down no issue there, remote works fine, lock and unlock, door still does not open.

Only thing it does not do now, other than the door not opening is the Horn for the Security does not sound one locked, it has always been faint sounding but still is heard, now nothing.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know the details of the mechanism.

Grant
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you anyways, say the rod for the outer handle came off during reassembly, would that stop the inner door handle from opening the door as well?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well, i was thinking the same, but i realized the limits of my knowledge.

Get a diagram and find the parts that are common to internal and external handles - they could go to the same place....

Grant
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I already have, when I was testing the new micro switch, I was able to open and close the latch using the inner door handle connector, when I moved it, it was the only moving part, other that the latch obviously, I could open it by just pulling on it (open door), then retracted it by just pushing the latch in with a small screw driver (closed door), that is how I assured the switch was working properly, I then reassembled, tested door, door worked great, checked the locks, locked it like i normally do, nothing different, then bam, no drivers door?