A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

01 A6 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 A6 no crank

So I bought this super clean A6 yesterday, for pretty much nothing. Kid said it wouldn't start so i had it flatbedded home. Battery is ok, everything lights up when the keys on but it wont even click the starter. i'd like to try to diagnose it without pulling the alt out.

whats the best way to jump the starter? any other hints to why its not starting?

cars an 01' a6 2.7 w/auto
Old 08-31-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So you have no idea if the engine is okay or totally trashed? Before jumping or otherwise turning the engine over you may want to verify you won't do damage by doing so. If the timing belt is gone the valves will interfere with the pistons, thus trash stuff. Or, maybe that has already occurred. What about trying to turn over the engine manually? Or, if you are new to Audi, maybe finding a competent technician to assist? There is likely a reason the car was cheap.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Use a jumper battery.

Originally Posted by Devinv
So I bought this super clean A6 yesterday, for pretty much nothing. Kid said it wouldn't start so i had it flatbedded home. Battery is ok, everything lights up when the keys on but it wont even click the starter. i'd like to try to diagnose it without pulling the alt out.

whats the best way to jump the starter? any other hints to why its not starting?

cars an 01' a6 2.7 w/auto
Just because it lights up doesn't mean it isn't a problem.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

the fact you said you are considering pulling the alternator coz it wont even crank concerns me somewhat.

you have a lot to do before you go there.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Won't start or won' crank

What is the best description you got from the kid when it died.

Was driving vs. was not?

Ran and died vs. decided not to start?

If it is a no crank, start with fuses, ignition switch, shift and brake lockouts, etc.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jesus christ, I'll pull the alternator to check the starter.

I'm not really sure how any other conditions you guys have posted would be remotely related to why a starter isn't engaging except for that last post, but I'll bite.

Yes, I've heard the car run before. Yes, it bars over fine. No, this is not my first audi. No, the reason he sold it is because he's a swag/Yolo kid that just inherited a trust fund. Reguardless of the price, the rims cost $1400, I found the invoice, they're more than double what I paid for the car and if all else fails I can slap them on my 02 a6 and I still come out on top.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A little confused how pulling the Alt checks the starter, but I'll bite?

Since you have a C5, you probably know the drill.
Just start with the battery and the ignition switch and work your way towards the starter.

Or start at the starter and work back.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
A little confused how pulling the Alt checks the starter, but I'll bite?

Since you have a C5, you probably know the drill.
Just start with the battery and the ignition switch and work your way towards the starter.

Or start at the starter and work back.
Really I just want to know where the other end of the starter trigger wire goes to before it gets lost in a harness (terminal #50 on the starter)
Old 09-01-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the same as a 2000 2.8, the "Starter Interlock Relay" pin #9 Brown.
On its way there it goes through a 2 pin connector under the hood on the right and to the electronics box in the plenum are under the hood.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Devinv
Really I just want to know where the other end of the starter trigger wire goes to before it gets lost in a harness (terminal #50 on the starter)
Ok attitude aside now we are getting somewhere .... even though I have absolutely no idea what " bars over" means.

are you getting the 12v to fire that starter solenoid ? I had an issue once where that wire was completely corroded and had to cut it back a fair bit and splice in a new piece. Pretty well comes down from the ignition switch so the ignition switch should be high on the list if you are not getting the 12v.

If you are getting a good strong 12 .x volts when you go to start but the starter still isn't firing there is a very good chance the braided wire from the solenoid to the starter is fried , I have had this happen 3 times now and is fairly common on the Bosch starters. However it usually happened because something is blocking the engine from turning over and it fries. I would put it in neutral as suggested and try turning it over by hand just to see.

Oh one additional note . On the 2.8 the starter is fairly easily removed through the passenger wheel well after removing the CV heat shield , no need to ever touch the alternator, not sure about the 2.7 T though but may want to look into it , as you are correct, removing the alternator is a royal pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: 01 A6 no crank