A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 a6 2.7t auto tiptronic no torque at wot

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 a6 2.7t auto tiptronic no torque at wot

I need help. my 03 a6 2.7t is not running right. It randomly has trouble starting and when I go to WOT it revs high but veryyyyyy slowly accelerates. When I say slow I mean slow as in my 0-60 time at WOT is 25.6 secs. Wtf. When I go to part throttle it moves kinda decent. I don't know what could be wrong. I don't have a way to vagcom it but the check engine light is on and the circle with the triangle and exclamation point stays on. I think that's the traction control light. I obded the check engine light and the codes were the mass air flow all the o2 sensors and cam position sensors show. Also Idk if it is normal but when I go to part throttle the turbos spool but within about 500 rpms of the shift change it makes a weird noise like whooooollllll and doesn't stop until it changes gears. Any help would be awesome.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not quite sure how this works on the 2.7T, but for my 2.4 NA, the ECM fuel trim adjustments are not applied @ WOT, and it will run from map. If you have O2 sensor, MAF and cam position sensor codes - you really should have that looked at. Might be advisable to get it scanned to get the proper details of the codes, clear them and see if they return (check that they're not remnants of an old fault that has been fixed already).

These are expensive parts though - hopefully someone here can chime in on methods of testing the components operation before changing parts. Likely it'll involve vag-com/vcds or equivalent quipment though.

One thing you can test, is disconnect the MAF - see how it idles and runs. Also, do you have an oiled intake filter?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No I have a stock air filter. I want an oiled but I think it will make things worse. Imma try to disconnect the maf and to reset the obd2.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamile222
No I have a stock air filter. I want an oiled but I think it will make things worse.
Wise choice. Oil residue from oiled filters have a strong tendancy of gunking up the MAF sensor, and eventually the intake temp sensor.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default truth or myth?

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
Wise choice. Oil residue from oiled filters have a strong tendancy of gunking up the MAF sensor, and eventually the intake temp sensor.
Hasn't this been disproven? Yes, ones that have been user cleaned and over oiled can be a problem. But, standard K&N filters are fine. Not wanting to start a fight, just tired of seeing this inaccurate statement.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I reset the check engine light and it came back on along with the traction control light that always remains on. After disconnecting the maf sensor I did feel a little more off the line response but it still barely moves at all when I hit WOT.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clancy
Hasn't this been disproven? Yes, ones that have been user cleaned and over oiled can be a problem. But, standard K&N filters are fine. Not wanting to start a fight, just tired of seeing this inaccurate statement.
Not saying all do, but that oiled filters have a strong tendency to do so. Probably fairly linear with peoples strong tendency to over-oil their filters.

A sparsely oiled filter shouldn't throw off much oil residue, but some is unavvoidable. If VAG found an oiled filter to work best with the sensors, intake and engine, they would have put one in your Audi, and exclaimed that cleaning and re-oiling it should be done by a professional. It would be more profit in it for them.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No arguments with this

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
Not saying all do, but that oiled filters have a strong tendency to do so. Probably fairly linear with peoples strong tendency to over-oil their filters.

A sparsely oiled filter shouldn't throw off much oil residue, but some is unavvoidable. If VAG found an oiled filter to work best with the sensors, intake and engine, they would have put one in your Audi, and exclaimed that cleaning and re-oiling it should be done by a professional. It would be more profit in it for them.

Oiled filters may be more problematic than paper filters. Certainly questionable whether they are worth the bother. I've been using them for 20+ years. And, I have over oiled them and suffered. But I continue to use them with no known negative reactions, now that I no longer over oil. I find them worthwhile. And, I do not for a moment believe Audi or any auto manufacturer builds a car that cannot be tweaked. Admittedly, most tweaks will reduce reliability.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Disengage traction control

Originally Posted by jamile222
I reset the check engine light and it came back on along with the traction control light that always remains on. After disconnecting the maf sensor I did feel a little more off the line response but it still barely moves at all when I hit WOT.

On my 2001 there is a button that allows me to disengage the traction control. Have you tried this? Just to see if it affects your particular problem. Mine seems to trigger the throttle control prematurely. If I do WOT when entering a highway often it triggers and counteracts my desire for controlled acceleration. I am not suggesting it as a cure, just to see if your WOT issue changes.

Otherwise, you need to address the DTCs to look for your reasons.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only button mine has on it is the esp button and When I push it nothing happens. Its like the button is nonoperational. I pushed it 20 times and I've tried holding it for a full min.

Quick Reply: 03 a6 2.7t auto tiptronic no torque at wot