A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 C5 3.0 REAR CAM TENSIONER GASKET WORTH DOING???

Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 A6 C5 3.0 REAR CAM TENSIONER GASKET WORTH DOING???

my mechanic jim @ euro cars says not worth it for the amount it will leak?? big job says a gasket might not be the culprit and it takes 2 very expensive cam tensioners might be the reason why it leaks??? is it the same job as others where u pop in new seals & gasket??? ANy help/feedback would be legit.... Car runs PERFECT minus some smoke lol.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by djfame
my mechanic jim @ euro cars says not worth it for the amount it will leak?? big job says a gasket might not be the culprit and it takes 2 very expensive cam tensioners might be the reason why it leaks??? is it the same job as others where u pop in new seals & gasket??? ANy help/feedback would be legit.... Car runs PERFECT minus some smoke lol.
You may be able to reseal the tabs on the ends IIRC. Otherwise if the gasket is leaking, cam tensioner gaskets need to be replaced..the tensioners don't have to be removed to replace them IIRC, just loosened and slightly moved up to get the new gasket in. Of course worst case is the old gasket can't be completely removed and you have to remove the tensioner to clean the mating surfaces but still, you don't need new tensioners. If the tensioners have to come out for some reason that's a good time to replace the shoes! $20 a pair for the parts.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the cam adjusters in the front? not tensioners as there are no cam chains and shoes on a 3.0, nothing in the rear of the valve cover requires anything different than a plain gasket.

Last edited by jcman; 11-26-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What jcman said is true.

If you have oil leaks at the firewall side of the engine. It could be from the cam position sensor housing (3.0 has a total of 4 cam sensors).

02 03 04 Audi A4 A6 3 0L AVK V6 Cam Camshaft Position Sensors 06C103131D | eBay

They should be fairly easy to replace... Europaparts has them on sale for $7.95 each:

Buy Camshaft Position Sensor Gasket (3.0L V6) - 06C103121E by Victor Reinz | Europa Parts
Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Are you talking about the cam adjusters in the front? not tensioners as there are no cam chains and shoes on a 3.0, nothing in the rear of the valve cover requires anything different than a plain gasket.
Not quite sure he says its the camshaft tensioner gaskets (common on c5) which he says are at the rear of engine which is where the smoke comes from?? He did my timing kit from blauparts w new valve cover gaskets and many new items, which he says has nothing to do with the back?? Im guessing rear cam chain or tensioner from what he said?? Im hoping my friend & I can do it! He's good at vw engines and it is those gaskets you're mentioning??!! Appreciate your time gentlemen! So the leak from the back is hopefully the gaskets you're pointing me towards?
Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Metronet
What jcman said is true.

If you have oil leaks at the firewall side of the engine. It could be from the cam position sensor housing (3.0 has a total of 4 cam sensors).

They should be fairly easy to replace... Europaparts has them on sale for $7.95 each:

Buy Camshaft Position Sensor Gasket (3.0L V6) - 06C103121E by Victor Reinz | Europa Parts
ok makes sense! so these are guilty for leaks in rear engine?? I had timing kit 40k ago he has all the right parts as he is a ex audi vw tech only does vw Audi! I trust him and he says its not from the fromt, and valve is not leaking/kinda looked like it????
Old 12-02-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not quite sure he says its the camshaft tensioner gaskets (common on c5) which he says are at the rear of engine which is where the smoke comes from?? He did my timing kit from blauparts w new valve cover gaskets and many new items, which he says has nothing to do with the back?? Im guessing rear cam chain or tensioner from what he said?? Im hoping my friend & I can do it! He's good at vw engines and it is those gaskets you're mentioning??!! Appreciate your time gentlemen! So the leak from the back is hopefully the gaskets you're pointing me towards?
I've done a few TB's on the 3.0 and also have a 3.0 in my 2004 A6.

The 3.0 does not have a cam chain or chain tensioner, it does have cam sensors in the rear bellow the valve cover surface mounted in the back of the head and yes they do have gaskets.

Word of caution: Make sure who ever works on this engine "knows the engine" the 3.0 has a complex valve/cam timing system vs the 2.8 and 2.7,
I'd be very very leary if someone who worked on my engine said it had something it don't!! Of course then I never hear that.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks sir i will so those seals! he does know what he's talking about and knows the engine very well! I don't lol..... i only do none engine jobs on my audi! Seems like this is just unmount sensor, replace seals and remount sensor! 2 gaskets for the 4 sensors?? if not then i might be a little more worried and not do the job and have him do it on the next timing job???
Old 12-06-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks sir i will so those seals! he does know what he's talking about and knows the engine very well! I don't lol..... i only do none engine jobs on my audi! Seems like this is just unmount sensor, replace seals and remount sensor! 2 gaskets for the 4 sensors?? if not then i might be a little more worried and not do the job and have him do it on the next timing job???
I kind of sensed that you were interpreting what you've been told so that being the case it's all up to the guy working on it, obviously you're seeking second opinions on the side lines.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How many gaskets?

Originally Posted by Metronet
What jcman said is true.

Thanks will order these from them as its the cheapest, fcp euro has for same price w spendier shipping! Has 4 sensor does 2 gaskets cover the job or 4 gaskets? I have a feelin its 2?!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 A6 C5 3.0 REAR CAM TENSIONER GASKET WORTH DOING???