A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 C5 3.0 REAR CAM TENSIONER GASKET WORTH DOING???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two gaskets, one for the housing at each bank. Each housing has 1 intake cam sensor and 1 exhaust cam sensor. You can use the opportunity to verify the operations of the cam position sensors.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Metronet; 12-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your time everyone!

Ok so will be doing this job, parts just shipped today from europa!! Was reading about a clogged pcv can also make your cam sensor leak??? Does this apply?? I throw NO codes for anything besides my cat lol p0431 threshold below or whatever? Im running great... Dont see why i couldnt check when working on gaskets?!!! Thanks gents super appreciated that code i see is common?! My audi guy said a new one wouldnt solve the trick usually (aftermarket) luckily we dont do emmisions here! But would love to get rid of code for good?!! Much love happy holidays

Last edited by djfame; 12-08-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typoes
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by djfame
Ok so will be doing this job, parts just shipped today from europa!! Was reading about a clogged pcv can also make your cam sensor leak??? Does this apply?? I throw NO codes for anything besides my cat lol p0431 threshold below or whatever? Im running great... Dont see why i couldnt check when working on gaskets?!!! Thanks gents super appreciated that code i see is common?! My audi guy said a new one wouldnt solve the trick usually (aftermarket) luckily we dont do emmisions here! But would love to get rid of code for good?!! Much love happy holidays
clogged pcv can make everything leak because internal engine pressure can't be vented/sucked into intake. The P0431 is cat efficiency below threshold, generally a worn out cat. Some people have used a spacer bushing on the post-cat O2 sensor which for some magical reason fools the ecu re the cat efficiency issue.

How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter - Car Talk - Nairaland
Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The crankcase pressure relief valve on the 3.0 AVK is easy to remove for inspection. Not sure if it's normal or not but I find water (not coolant) mixed with oil in the valve and the pipe (lower section the pancake connects to) and have always tried to clean them as much as I could in the winter time after driving.

I think if the crankcase pressure relief valve is clogged you won't be able to open your oil cap or at least not easily, when the engine is running.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Metronet
The crankcase pressure relief valve on the 3.0 AVK is easy to remove for inspection. Not sure if it's normal or not but I find water (not coolant) mixed with oil in the valve and the pipe (lower section the pancake connects to) and have always tried to clean them as much as I could in the winter time after driving.

I think if the crankcase pressure relief valve is clogged you won't be able to open your oil cap or at least not easily, when the engine is running.
Here is a good link on the crankcase vent valve: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-help-2859068/

Actually the valve allows the crankcase "positive" pressure to be pulled by the intake vacuum, if the valve is stuck or has failed this condition can lead the cam adjuster's not operating properly and forced oil leaks in the valve cover or cam sensor gaskets, it just depends on the vent valve being closed "slammed" or opened full and not modulating.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

you gents are awesome thank for the love & time appreciated! I have an audi service dvd from ebay I just repaired my pc to be able to help me better w info too! thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Stuck lol

So i attempted shortly after i received my gaskets! Very TIGHT BACK there i managed to get the top bolt off but bottom one is tricky!! I actually removed the one on the drivers side, removed the breather hose but it cracked lol ughhh!! So i stopped!!! I duct taped it and put dome zip ties has been running fine! Very tight though so curious if i need to remove the whole breather tube etc to do or need a special allen ratchet because its very tight back there? Any feedback would be great! Unfortunately my buddy & I havent been off together to work on it so just on hold! Not very hard but the breather hose was old and brittle and cracked so i stopped to not ruin it and put back to together! I bought some long arm allen keys to maybe do the bottom screw the top one is easy i have baby ratchet w allen bit! Any help would be good! Was thinkin if moving the reserve tank would help?? And for the pass. Side as well if i need to remove the air box setup??? Thanks gents much live and bless this new yr! My audi is still rolling strong and gets complimented a lot!!!

Originally Posted by djfame
you gents are awesome thank for the love & time appreciated! I have an audi service dvd from ebay I just repaired my pc to be able to help me better w info too! thanks