A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 a6 2.8 head/engine questions atq vs aha

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 a6 2.8 head/engine questions atq vs aha

Okay, so i recently, in the past 10 minutes, realized that my motor has one aha head, and one atq head. The history on this vehicle i know of is, my boss bought it not running with a bad head on passenger side. I dont think he knew when he purchased a used head for it that he was purchasing an atq head instead of an aha head, like the rest of the aha engine. My question is, what is the difference between the atq and aha head. I know the atq and aha engine have different compression ratios, but im curious if that is judged by the gaskets, pistons, or combustion chamber volume. Also is there any difference in the camshaft profiles between the two. I know he put a loaded head on it, nothing was swapped off the old aha head. Ive been working on a 2001 a4 2.8 with the atq, and the car runs so much stronger than mine, and im also still trying to hunt down why my car has the vibration/performance problems it does. No one at my work, including my boss, ever drove this car before it was brought in not running, but the person who owned it before him was pretty meticulous with fixing everything the right way, so im curious as to what affect this may be having on my engine and its performance.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by clcycle
I know the atq and aha engine have different compression ratios
False. The only difference between ATQ and AHA is drive by wire versus drive by cable. The specs on the heads are the same.

If your car is not showing any codes, start by checking/setting exhaust cam timing.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what is the best/simplest way to check my exhaust cam timing? Im trying to research it on here, but im not finding anyone with a definite answer.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not tyring to bump or overstep anyone

But vagcom can show you both cam degree's, if I'm not mistaking.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

if vagcom shows me, what am i looking for ? I know i sound clueless, but im trying to narrow down what im looking for, or have some education before i jump in. I can get access to vagcom but i need to know what to look for.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jcman
But vagcom can show you both cam degree's, if I'm not mistaking.
I don't know for sure, but I can't see how VAG-COM would be able to report on exhaust cam timing - the CPS units are located in the intake cams only.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by clcycle
what is the best/simplest way to check my exhaust cam timing?
1. Read up on doing a timing belt service. The adjustment is part of the service

2. Obtain the timing belt bar and pin

3. Install the pin to lock the crank in place.

4. Using the locking bar to steady one cam at a time, loosen each cam sprocket bolt about two turns.

5. Use a puller or sharp hammer blow to the bolt head to pop each sprocket free of the cam

6. Install the locking bar, turning cams a little as required to install it (this is the adjustment part)

7. re-tighten sprocket bolts to lock the sprockets back on the cams. Start with bank 2 (driver's side in the US)

8. Re-assemble car and enjoy the increased power and fuel economy
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so back to checking/setting the exhaust cam timing. How is that done? Obviously by setting some cylinder to tdc and counting teeth im assuming or aligning something but i have no access to literature to specify and no thread i can find has a concrete answer, just a bunch of people in a pissing match on unspecific details. I'm appreciative to any concrete/specific information that can be provided aiding me in checking this, because im confident that something, somewhere along the line, wasnt quite set right when this head was put on. Dont get me wrong, the car runs decent, but it doesnt run anywhere close to how i feel it should, especially after driving a customers 2.8, i feel like mine has a completely different engine.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
1. Read up on doing a timing belt service. The adjustment is part of the service

2. Obtain the timing belt bar and pin

3. Install the pin to lock the crank in place.

4. Using the locking bar to steady one cam at a time, loosen each cam sprocket bolt about two turns.

5. Use a puller or sharp hammer blow to the bolt head to pop each sprocket free of the cam

6. Install the locking bar, turning cams a little as required to install it (this is the adjustment part)

7. re-tighten sprocket bolts to lock the sprockets back on the cams. Start with bank 2 (driver's side in the US)

8. Re-assemble car and enjoy the increased power and fuel economy
Okay now that is more so something i can work with. Thank you
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I don't know for sure, but I can't see how VAG-COM would be able to report on exhaust cam timing - the CPS units are located in the intake cams only.
This is true, cps only shows the intake degree as they are variable by demand input/output.

Quick Reply: 1998 a6 2.8 head/engine questions atq vs aha