A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 Audi a6 quattro 2.8l. Code p1423

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
Yes, but this forum has a good amount of info and we also have the Features/Tech Articles tab at the top of the page.

Good luck with the repair.
All right so went to work under the hood today and no luck! I did not see a j299 relay or a 40amp fuse located in the ecu. Also my fuse arraigment was different then one in car compared to owners manual.

This is whats under the ecu in top right underhood i was told by a clerk at german motorsports that i have to go underneath this and the tcm to get at the fuse. Is that right?

Fuse arraingment in manual

Fuse arraigment in car
Old 11-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Devin183
All right so went to work under the hood today and no luck! I did not see a j299 relay or a 40amp fuse located in the ecu. Also my fuse arraigment was different then one in car compared to owners manual.

This is whats under the ecu in top right underhood i was told by a clerk at german motorsports that i have to go underneath this and the tcm to get at the fuse. Is that right?

Fuse arraigment in car
Check under drivers dash u should have more fuse there a 40 and 50next to each other then there another 50 up top by steering components
Old 11-20-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your in the wrong area

Fuse arraigment in car
Yes they are right.
First off the UCU/relay/fuse box is on the drivers side under the cowl cover and is secured by screws with a hex head, secondly the picture from the manual is showing the fuse arrangement on the interior drivers side of the dash with the door open.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 11-20-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes they are right.
First off the UCU/relay/fuse box is on the drivers side under the cowl cover and is secured by screws with a hex head, secondly the picture from the manual is showing the fuse arrangement on the interior drivers side of the dash with the door open.
Okay so i remove the cowl cover which is underneath the steering wheel where my kness r its like a protector from my kness hitting the wires right?
Old 11-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes they are right.
Or you are saying to remove those hex head screws i see in the pic of the cars fuse box and get behind there correct? German motor sports daid i have to remove windsheild wipers and crap
Old 11-20-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Okay so i remove the cowl cover which is underneath the steering wheel where my kness r its like a protector from my kness hitting the wires right?
No. Read on....
Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Or you are saying to remove those hex head screws i see in the pic of the cars fuse box and get behind there correct? German motor sports daid i have to remove windsheild wipers and crap
There one bolt back there lift the plastic up a little and u can get ratchet in there
Old 11-20-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, under the hood in the rear pull the rubber weather-strip gasket off and pull the cowl cover off "that covers the battery" then read this link https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...moval-2861524/
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, under the hood in the rear pull the rubber weather-strip gasket off and pull the cowl cover off "that covers the battery" then read this link https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...moval-2861524/
All right so my battery is under neath my rear seat in back of my quattro
Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can remove the gasket and cowl and then i have a huge black box underneath my hood but seems to have no screws or tabs to pull up and out and i apologize in advance its my first audi and im new to their workings

Quick Reply: 1998 Audi a6 quattro 2.8l. Code p1423