A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.0 l TDI intake manifold flaps issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 l TDI intake manifold flaps issues

He everyone

Could someone advise me as I think I have faulty manifold flaps. The vacuum baffle doesn't open the flaps so I removed the vacuum line and there is suction therefore it leaves me to believe there might be something wrong with the manifold flaps.

Is this a common thing and is there an easy way to clean it or take it apart and start scrubbing?

Thanx

Sean
Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean7814
He everyone

Could someone advise me as I think I have faulty manifold flaps. The vacuum baffle doesn't open the flaps so I removed the vacuum line and there is suction therefore it leaves me to believe there might be something wrong with the manifold flaps.

Is this a common thing and is there an easy way to clean it or take it apart and start scrubbing?

Thanx

Sean
Is there an arm the vacuum motor attaches to and can you move the arm?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can move the arm but only a little bit. The arm doesn't move at all when the engine is running it looks like it wants to but as there is vacuum in the lines I assumes it to be ok. I however am not sure how much vacuum should be in the little hose and if I Rev the engine should the vacuum increase as it doesn't its a constant vacuum. It could be the vacuum pump how would I test this?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Is there an arm the vacuum motor attaches to and can you move the arm?
The arm is the one shown in the picture
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12969
Size:  52.7 KB
With the vacuum line going to
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, first, a diesel engine has no vacuum. They run unthrottled, one controls output by controlling fuel (turbos have some pressure control, but any vacuum isn't because of a throttle plate).

There must be a vacuum pump somewhere as well as a vacuum bottle with a check valve. Find it and check it.

But you CAN check that vacuum motor/flap operation with a manual vacuum pump like a mity-vac. With the engine off, disconnect the vacuum motor line and hook up your manual vacuum pump and pump it…the arm should move more than a little…if it doesn't the flap or rod the flap(s) move on is stuck and you either remove the intake manifold and free it or replace the intake manifold.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes the vacuum motor is located the other side of engine to the picture above. I haven't got a vacuum to test the manifold actuator however I made a plan and noticed the air travels through the baffel ie I think the baffle is split if that's possible as the air just flows through. Is there a way to replace the diaphragm if so is there a link to how to do it?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sean7814
Yes the vacuum motor is located the other side of engine to the picture above. I haven't got a vacuum to test the manifold actuator however I made a plan and noticed the air travels through the baffel ie I think the baffle is split if that's possible as the air just flows through. Is there a way to replace the diaphragm if so is there a link to how to do it?
That picture shows a vacuum actuator. If it's not the one that operates the flaps…
The diaphragm in the vacuum actuator isn't a service part…the entire motor needs to be replaced. Get the p/n off the actuator and google it. Sometimes those actuators are part of an expensive kit, otherwise they're available from other manufacturers, maybe land rover or lamborgini.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanx I got part number for the whole actuator and replaced it. All parts, gaskets and cleaning products cost £36 in total and because the inlet manifold had to come off it took 4 hours to do the job as everything was clogged with carbon. I was quoted £460 from a garage to do work so am glad I attempted it myself.

The car runs like it's supposed to do thanx for your advice and I'll be sure to contact you the next time my car breaks lol