A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t Blown Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t Blown Turbo Question

Hey guys I've got a quick question for you. 7k miles ago I replaced both of my turbos in my 2.7t 2002 Audi A6. Now 7k miles later I have the dentist drill sound coming from the driver side turbo. I put stock k03's back in with plans of just running a stage 1 but never did (yet). I took off the car back exhaust to see which side the smoke was coming from, I confirmed it was only from the driver side. But my boost gauge will not read any boost at all! It vacumms and then doesn't go above 0lbs of boost. If only one turbo is bad would it still read 0lbs? Or if only one was bad would it read 4.5 or something. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

warning: i have never worked on the turbos themselves, but as i understand it, the reason they say "bi-turbo" rather than "twin" is that they are not sequential, but in parallel, one dedicated to each bank.

If true, this means you essentially have two independent paths from the air metering box to the valves -one left and one right. A failed turbo on one side would have no effect on the other side.

What i dont know is what secondary effects might exist - controls that open bypass valves in parallel if one path is not working? I simply don;t know.

Another possible reason is "they hooked the boost gauge to one side, the bad one".

I would first pull the diagram and study it well, and then look for anything common.

I'd also like to know how you killed a turbo so fast.

Grant
Old 10-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm yeah I will pull both turbos off tonight and inspect them both to see if one is damaged or both but for right now I only think one is.

I really have no clue how I killed it so fast, I think it was a faulty turbo when I bought it.

Anyone else know why it wouldn't read any boost if only one is bad?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I'm very new to the Audi/VW cars. I have owned plenty of either turbocharged or supercharged hot rods in the past.

First thing I think of is boost leak. A boost leak will not only give you zeor boost, but it could also be the cause of the sound you are hearing. I"m not sure how the diverter valves work, but i would look here too. Make sure you check all hoses from the pressure side of the turbo's to the intake of your engine. If you do have a leak on the pressure side, that will eventually kill your turbos because they will overspin. I wonder if you had a leak on the pressure side which caused your turbos to go bad in the first place???
Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's a good idea. I would be surprised, though, if once one has heard the sound of a dying turbo one would ever confuse it with an air leak.... bit it does explain both.

Grant