A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t Passenger Side Engine Smoke - Quick input?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t Passenger Side Engine Smoke - Quick input?

01' 2.7t - Purchased 6 months ago with 115k. Now has 140k. Have done some searching and come up with a few different situations but am looking for a little clearer guidance into this. Seems to be a common problem, but the response on where to start seems to vary. Have seen cam tensioner seals, valve gasket leaks, turbo problems, etc.

Regardless, here's my current situation. I change my oil every 3k miles, which is obviously overkill; and I may be regretting it now. I am beginning to wonder if I have had oil burning for some time.

Noticed a burning smell yesteray, popped hood, white smoke was very slowly billowing from driver side of engine bay. Was close to home so I drove and let it sit until today, where I could do a little digging. Heat cycle was normal, warmed up just fine. Started smoking right about half way up temp gage, and seemed to develop a small valve tick. Smoke originally came from driver side, but also came out of dip-stick line when removed, and slowed leak from driver side. If reinserted it seemed to pick up again. After another five minutes I began pulling shrouds off and noticed it was starting to come from passenger side lightly as well.

No smoke coming out of the exhaust, and no overheating issues; but I have researched that this may not matter? No power issues or anything else being lost. This is my first Audi, and have done the research on maintenence but have not been able to bounce the check for preventative maintenance part replacement like I would like to have. Do not own a vag-com yet, unfortunately. Looking for ideas on where to start, any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

First, don't confuse leaking oil with burning oil. You have a leak or two, and possibly some issues with the crank vent system.

You'll probably end up doing a bunch of seals, valve cover gaskets, and the suction pump.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Probably you have the "normal" leaks Audi develops.
For the smoke, probably your caps are leaking. Do this:
1) Remove the cover from each side;
2) Pass you fingers around the back of cylinder head. There is a black cap there and there should be oil leaking from it. If you find oil on your fingers, this is your smoke.

What normaly occurs is this: oil will drip over the exhaust pipe and burn. Another evidence is: white marks on the exhaust pipe (burned oil), rubber burning smell on cabing through air vents.
The smoke will behave like this: engine is cold -> no smoke -> starts to heat up -> smoke -> more heat -> more smoke -> no more smoke after a while (all the oil burned).

Anyway, even if this is your case, you should have a good look around to see if there is something else leaking, specially on cover. They use to leak at the same time. As 4Driver4 said, you may need to do some seals and gaskets also, including crankshaft seal.
You said something about a leaking on driver side. How is it?
Post your findings.

Last edited by fmstocco; 01-07-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by fmstocco
probably your caps are leaking.
Cam plugs, not caps. ;-)

Cam caps are supposed to "leak" oil in a controlled manner.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Cam plugs, not caps. ;-)

Cam caps are supposed to "leak" oil in a controlled manner.
Ooops! You're right. Plugs not caps. They look like caps but are called plugs
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very good responses guys, this is great and deeply appreciated. I am a DIY'er but the crankshaft seal mention turns my stomach. This seems to be getting a little deeper in than I like to travel. Is this considered a "dont' attempt" job? I'm confident in top-end maintenence but crank seal? I've never gone there before.

What would I be looking for to know if a crank seal went? How many hours into the motor does this take? I have probably a good 2-3 weeks to get this fixed if absolutely necessary waiting on parts, but don't want it to turn into a winter project.

Now is the time I'm thankful for moving to Phoenix for the "cold" season. Again, all responses are appreciated and will be combed over carefully
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BTW: This was perfect. Characterization here was dead on.

The smoke will behave like this: engine is cold -> no smoke -> starts to heat up -> smoke -> more heat -> more smoke -> no more smoke after a while (all the oil burned).
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, probably you'll need to do the cover gaskets. If you are a lucky guy and your crank seal AND front cam seals are not leaking, you can leave it.
You need to remove the timing belt to do these seals.
Do this:
1) Go under the car and remove that plastic cover (noise insulation). Yes, it's a pain to remove but even worse to put back.
2) Look your oil pan. Is it dry? If you see traces of oil leaking and it is coming from the front of the engine, you will need to do the front seals = remove TB. If you are not sure where is it coming, clean it all and look again after one day and a ride.
If your leaks are only at the back of engine, a valve cover gasket+plugs job will be enough. But this is rare...
Anyway, you may fix the head leak to stop the inconvenient smoke (this is easy) and keep the seals to do with your next TB job.
BTW maybe they have been changed with the last TB job (it was done RIGHT??). Try to find it out.

Last edited by fmstocco; 01-07-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good deal, I will be digging in a little more tomorrow. I will attempt to take pictures if I can. Thanks again
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Guru

I'm an all or nothing guy. Front side leaks are harder to spot. I'd replace all the cam area seals and the valve cover gaskets. All that stuff should be replaced at each timing belt service anyway. Just do it right instead of piecemeal.

Quick Reply: 2.7t Passenger Side Engine Smoke - Quick input?