A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T - What am I getting myself into?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7T - What am I getting myself into?

I've been looking for an Audi Quattro as my winter car. May keep it longer if I end up with someone I really enjoy.

While my search was honed for an A4 2.8, I came across a 2000 A6 2.7T 6spd, 1-owner, with 145k. NO service history due to dealer privacy issues, but the car looks very well cared for. Motor runs out strong. Two CEL codes that appear easily fixed (o2 sensor/rough road eng torque). $4500

Obviously the list of horror stories for the 2.7T is long - but my mechanic worked at Audi for 20 years and claims they are great cars, with the turbos tending to fail early on when they were under warranty.

This is a car I would LOVE to own - realistically if I treat it well, what are the odds of catastrophic turbo failure? I'm hoping it's an issue that has been sensationalized via internet forums, but that may be wishful thinking.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No horror at all. Its a complicated, potentially maintenance intensive car with lots of hoses under pressure. On the other hand, the motor is built like a brick outhouse - forged crank, under-piston oil spray, yada, yada.

The little turbos can fail, mostly from abuse. Drive easy until warm, use good oil and change it, cool down before shut-off if very hot. End.

Areas for attention?:

- turbos
- front upper control arms and tie rods
- all the air hoses
- the usual stuff

Being a 6MT is a big plus.

You need to look over the usual stuff - since everything is expensive on these. I would insist on an on-lift pre-purchase with a list. Then use to negotiate.

Listen carefulyl for turbo noise or any spool up issues. But in the end, i think the 2.7 is a very, very solid motor.

Grant
Old 11-27-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest, I've never seen a turbo fail on these cars - but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've seen posts on these forums, but they're very rare.

My mom has an 01 A6 Quattro 2.7T with 175,000 miles and she has treated it like crap and it still runs fine, no turbo issues. I have a 2004 A6 2.7T Quattro with 285,000 miles on it, and it is still my daily driver and I would drive it across the country if I had to. No turbo issues. My gf has a 1.8T with about 160,000 on it - no turbo issues.

Maintenance is the big factor here. The engine probably leaks oil and needs new valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and cam tensioner seals. Without ANY service history, I would plan on replacing the timing belt, pulleys, and tensioners. I would look for coolant leaks and make sure the coolant is a nice pink color - I've seen people selling cars who don't know enough not to mix coolants. Along these lines, make sure the heat blows hot.

CV boots on these cars often tear and leak and then degrade. Check for that.

Power steering fluid is often overlooked, and if you open it and it is clean it could be a positive sign.

Finally - that rough road torque code could mean your ABS or maybe even the ECM is going out - that is not a small repair, the parts could be fairly expensive ($500 or so).
Old 11-27-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good news on the turbos! I am gentle on my vehicles and maintain them properly - so no worries there.

Next question, what's a fair bid for this car? It's clean inside and out but with a patch of rust, and a few looming issues, I'm not too comfortable with their asking price of $4500.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

note: the real question is not how YOU will treat them but rather how they have been treated over the past 140K miles.

For a fair price i would get galves data, assuming you find kbb/etc insufficient.

Grant
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by black_falcon
I've been looking for an Audi Quattro as my winter car. May keep it longer if I end up with someone I really enjoy.

While my search was honed for an A4 2.8, I came across a 2000 A6 2.7T 6spd, 1-owner, with 145k. NO service history due to dealer privacy issues, but the car looks very well cared for. Motor runs out strong. Two CEL codes that appear easily fixed (o2 sensor/rough road eng torque). $4500

Obviously the list of horror stories for the 2.7T is long - but my mechanic worked at Audi for 20 years and claims they are great cars, with the turbos tending to fail early on when they were under warranty.

This is a car I would LOVE to own - realistically if I treat it well, what are the odds of catastrophic turbo failure? I'm hoping it's an issue that has been sensationalized via internet forums, but that may be wishful thinking.

May be wishful thinking, but perhaps the servicing dealer can get previous owner's permission to share service history. At least try to find out about timing belt, water pump, tensioner, service. That's >$1k at an indy.

If it were me, I would have the seller fix the problems that are throwing the codes for the $4500 and get the service history. If not, I'd categorize this car as a "used piece" and pay no more than $3500. Less if your mechanic finds more issues. Subtract all the issues from the $4.5k

The rough road engine torque is a new one to me. As suggested, have your mechanic check out the car, including leaking motor mounts, oil leaks and either you or he can check the clutch for slipping under load in 4th-6th gears. Also, check all the door locks, windows, wet floor mats(sunroof drain issues). He should give you a print out on the codes and diagnose problems, so you can bargain with seller. .

Never had a problem with turbos in my 01 with 180k, but synth oil at 5-6k intervals for since new.