A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe1354
Hi Guys, The engine is at TDC, and locked the crank before taking the valve covers off, everything was going according to the plan I took the intake out got the tensioner out as I mentioned before the top pad was broker and the bottom pad when I took the tensioner out was non existent!!! put the new pads in on both sides, I was trying to put the tensioner back in and the freakin cam tensioner tool broke !!!@#$$% I don't know why they make those tools in plastic?!
so the job is on stand by ... I have to order another tool online or just buy one from the dealer.
a question for you guys though, as I mentioned the bottom pad was gone the chain was directly rubbing on the bottom part of the tensioner, when I put the bottom pad in it grabbed it solid, do you think I could get away by not replacing the tensioner at this point?
For the cost of those tensioners I wouldn't bother replacing it as long as the tensioner tool compresses it. BTW…buy two tensioners for when the one you have breaks…I've found often that if I have a spare the first one won't break. Some inverse corollary of Murphy?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picture? As far as I remember, the bottom piston slides out of the tensioner; and you can replace it with a used good one(from either tensioner side). If it's not scraped out I would use it, but that would be a miracle from what you're describing

The original poster found whole tensioners at a junk yard. You put in a lot of work...you might want to consider getting a new(or good used) tensioner altogether (that tensioner might be defective since it lost it's pads?!).
Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some good info here: quattroworld.com Forums: Failed 40V cam adjuster dissected...disappointingly non-rebuildable >>>
Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
For the cost of those tensioners I wouldn't bother replacing it as long as the tensioner tool compresses it. BTW…buy two tensioners for when the one you have breaks…I've found often that if I have a spare the first one won't break. Some inverse corollary of Murphy?
They are expensive!!! I know, they have cheap Chinese once on ebay ay 250, even that is expensive taking into consideration money spend vise quality.
If I get the car running again I'll buy 4 of them, if having spare ones prevents the car from breaking again
I don't have the luxuary of finding these part where I live, I'm from Montreal, Canada, there aren't too many of this model in town, it is a rare car in town so finding a scrap yard which has this vehicle is rare.
I'll take couple of pics of the tensioner tomorrow for you guys tell me what you think...
Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They are expensive!!! I know, they have cheap Chinese once on ebay ay 250, even that is expensive taking into consideration money spend vise quality.
If I get the car running again I'll buy 4 of them, if having spare ones prevents the car from breaking again
I don't have the luxuary of finding these part where I live, I'm from Montreal, Canada, there aren't too many of this model in town, it is a rare car in town so finding a scrap yard which has this vehicle is rare.
I'll take couple of pics of the tensioner tomorrow for you guys tell me what you think...
Dunno if you have amazon prime but there are a lot of them available on there.
Also, Sears has a Schwaben audi cam chain tensioner tool for about $40 in the US. It sucks that sears.ca doesn't have the tool. But sears.com will ship internationally.

I'm not advocating dodgy tax issues with VAT, but you could always paypal someone in the US and have them ship it to you. I don't know how efficient CA mail is about international packages…

It looks like the tool is only available for online sales and shipping from sears.com, no store pickup, otherwise it's an hour drive to Plattsville, NY (100KM) from what google calls Montreal, probably city center.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Dunno if you have amazon prime but there are a lot of them available on there.
Also, Sears has a Schwaben audi cam chain tensioner tool for about $40 in the US. It sucks that sears.ca doesn't have the tool. But sears.com will ship internationally.

I'm not advocating dodgy tax issues with VAT, but you could always paypal someone in the US and have them ship it to you. I don't know how efficient CA mail is about international packages…

It looks like the tool is only available for online sales and shipping from sears.com, no store pickup, otherwise it's an hour drive to Plattsville, NY (100KM) from what google calls Montreal, probably city center.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
What do you think about using a tie wrap in order to compress the tensioner, and cut the tie wrap once the tensioner is installed?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did a quick search, and there's a German(?) made tensioner for your application(you'd have to double check part #) for $300. Genuine audi is $600+. This one is not Chinese, though...or at least, that's what they are saying...
Audi VW 4 2 V8 Timing Chain Tensioner Adjuster Solenoid 077109088P Cylinders 1 4 | eBay

Also you can try to contact auto dismantlers for a used one, and maybe a better price...

Last edited by indoor; 11-25-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
I did a quick search, and there's a German(?) made tensioner for your application(you'd have to double check part #) for $300. Genuine audi is $600+. This one is not Chinese, though...or at least, that's what they are saying...
Audi VW 4 2 V8 Timing Chain Tensioner Adjuster Solenoid 077109088P Cylinders 1 4 | eBay

Also you can try to contact auto dismantlers for a used one, and maybe a better price...
I will give that a try.
Thank you.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
What do you think about using a tie wrap in order to compress the tensioner, and cut the tie wrap once the tensioner is installed?
I would think it would have to be a very strong tie wrap plus a lot of force to compress the tensioner. The tool screws into a relatively large threaded hole (what, 8-10mm diameter?) and is worked using an allen wrench.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the tie wrap might work. My tensioner was easily compressed by hand. Once you pull the tensioner out there's no pressure in it.

The only thing I would worry is to make sure you can pull the cut tie wrap off once the cam and tensioner with chain is back in(as you already know it's tight). I actually pulled the tensioner out without the tool(but got the intake cam out first).

Which reminds me: I hope you cleaned all the pieces from 'missing' bottom shoe(on tensioner)...they should be mostly in chain bay, but you have to look closely around the cams too...

Last edited by indoor; 11-26-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement