A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Clean out the engine pan too.

Originally Posted by Moe1354
I will give that a try.
Thank you.
Good point about shoe pieces around cam bay..stuff flies. But I would also drop the bottom pan and clean it out. Some pieces get down there too.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Good point about shoe pieces around cam bay..stuff flies. But I would also drop the bottom pan and clean it out. Some pieces get down there too.
I found couple of pieces in there, I think the audi technician when he was doing his inspection took couple of pieces out as well, I'm pretty sure the rest got flushed in the pan.
I think I'm going to use my tie wrap technic, I don't have patience to wait another 2 weeks for the tool to arrive.
I also have trouble finding a 1/4" torque wrench (5nm), I have one but it's too big. for some reason tool shops here only have the wrench in 1/2" and 3/8" I'm gonna try to look for it in bicycle shops.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you're talking about the size of the socket. You can use these adapters as long as you find or have a low end torque ratchet...
Duralast/Chrome vanadium steel adapter set 70-386 at AutoZone.com
Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by indoor
Sounds like you're talking about the size of the socket. You can use these adapters as long as you find or have a low end torque ratchet...
Duralast/Chrome vanadium steel adapter set 70-386 at AutoZone.com
Nope..it was the size of the torque wrench.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moe1354
I found couple of pieces in there, I think the audi technician when he was doing his inspection took couple of pieces out as well, I'm pretty sure the rest got flushed in the pan.
I think I'm going to use my tie wrap technic, I don't have patience to wait another 2 weeks for the tool to arrive.
I also have trouble finding a 1/4" torque wrench (5nm), I have one but it's too big. for some reason tool shops here only have the wrench in 1/2" and 3/8" I'm gonna try to look for it in bicycle shops.
That's where I got a ¼" drive torque wrench…Park makes one.
Like most things, you get what you pay for. The clickers are expensive, the beam ones reasonable.
Park Tool Small Clicker Torque Wrench - Treads Bicycle Outfitters Aurora Lakewood Parker, Denver CO

Here's one site with a locator field for a bike shop that stocks them, it's also a lot less expensive:
Park Tool Co. » TW-1 : Torque Wrench : Torque Wrenches & Accessories
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well the tie wrap trick didn't work !@#$
This thing is starting to tick me off ...
I've ordered 2 tensioner tools this time and waiting for it to arrive ....
Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Catching up on the conversation. I also had cracked my 1st plastic cam chain tensioner T tool. Bought 2 more & have never cracked the 2nd one. I think that proves SloopJohn theory! Some lessons-learned are 1) be sure the T-top seats on the tensioner surface & not on the chain, 2) take your time tightening it, & 3) don't over-torque it.
FYI, I changed the tensioner shoes on both my tensioners, when I was chasing my misfire issues.
So, now understanding that your tensioner shoes were damaged/missing, it's logical that intake cam timing would certainly be thrown off. I suggest you hold off getting replacement tensioners until you get eyes on the metal feet (it's what the shoes mount onto, in my lingo) of the old ones. The "plastic-like" shoes basically snap onto the feet, and act as a spacer & smooth guide for the cam chain. Just because the shoe broke, doesn't necessarily mean the tensioner itself is bad. The shoes get brittle with time & heat, & can break off. Once you get your tensioner off, you need to make sure the replacement shoes will securely snap on, & also that the metal feet still provide a support for the shoes. If the metal feet are chewed up from the chain contact, you'll want to remove any burrs, & will need to decide if the feet can still support the shoes.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Catching up on the conversation. I also had cracked my 1st plastic cam chain tensioner T tool. Bought 2 more & have never cracked the 2nd one. I think that proves SloopJohn theory! Some lessons-learned are 1) be sure the T-top seats on the tensioner surface & not on the chain, 2) take your time tightening it, & 3) don't over-torque it.
FYI, I changed the tensioner shoes on both my tensioners, when I was chasing my misfire issues.
So, now understanding that your tensioner shoes were damaged/missing, it's logical that intake cam timing would certainly be thrown off. I suggest you hold off getting replacement tensioners until you get eyes on the metal feet (it's what the shoes mount onto, in my lingo) of the old ones. The "plastic-like" shoes basically snap onto the feet, and act as a spacer & smooth guide for the cam chain. Just because the shoe broke, doesn't necessarily mean the tensioner itself is bad. The shoes get brittle with time & heat, & can break off. Once you get your tensioner off, you need to make sure the replacement shoes will securely snap on, & also that the metal feet still provide a support for the shoes. If the metal feet are chewed up from the chain contact, you'll want to remove any burrs, & will need to decide if the feet can still support the shoes.
the shoe on top was broken and the bottom shoe was gone, I replaced both of them and it snapped on the tensioner solid, I am going to try it this way first without changing the tensioner, I don't think the tensioner itself has any issues, it still compresses, I think it is fine.

Now I have to figure out how to put it back together, It was very hard when I was trying for the first time before the tool broke, for some reason I cannot put the intake back in after putting the tensioner in it's place, and I cannot line my marked chain and sprockets!
It seems very odd! it seems like my chain shrunk?!!!!
We'll see what happens when I get my new tensioner tool.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Need to have tensioner compressed when installing, to help keep chain slack so intake cam installs unloaded by the chain.
I also read of folks using zip ties during assembly, although I never tried it myself. Seems it hasn't worked for you.

An earlier post suggested you remove valve cover for both banks & check the exhaust cam notch alignment. Did you do this? AND are both exhaust cams' notches aligned with arrows? If you are going through the process of just lossening intake cams to remove the tensioners, just so you don't have to mess with the TB, it would be good to know if your TB alignment is on target. Otherwise, you may be fixing the TB later anyway.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hate to brake it to you, but even with the tensioner tool it's a PITA to put the exhaust cam EDIT: INTAKE CAM back in. Again, it took me one hour to get it in and by the mark. I swung it around like a helicopter trying any possible angle I remember that I put the sproket side in first while the cam position side of cam was up(then forced it pass the inner timing belt cover).

If you look at one of the videos I linked, the 1.8T engine one, they don't actually show how the exhaust cam goes in because they spent too much time struggling No one wants to see the cussing and all that

Blauparts shows a video of how both cams along with the tensioner and chain slide in like butter But they have the timing belt off.

Keep at it and you'll get it in

Last edited by indoor; 12-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement