A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indoor
Because of your specific situation, and a few misunderstandings...it seems you are back to square 1: no TDC.

You have to pop the other valve cover off and post what you find. If nothing else, you have to replace that gasket anyway since they come in pairs when bought.

What I need to know is the position of cams on driver's side...

If not, tell me if the crank shaft(24mm 12 point socket) is lined up with mark. The crank shaft is where you turn the engine by hand.
I guess I have to open the DS cover to investigate further...
What would happen if I assemble everything as is right now?
do you think I would cause further damage?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yep…if timing is screwed up enough valves will hit pistons

Originally Posted by Moe1354
I guess I have to open the DS cover to investigate further...
What would happen if I assemble everything as is right now?
do you think I would cause further damage?
yes.
if timing is screwed up enough valves will hit pistons and bend valves or damage pistons.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The thing is: I have no idea how you define TDC. When you said that you set TDC before removing the valve cover on passenger side, how did you do it? Specifics?!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
yes.
if timing is screwed up enough valves will hit pistons and bend valves or damage pistons.
Ok back to square 1, I have the car parked at another location, I will open it and post some pics.
Thank you.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The thing is: I have no idea how you define TDC. When you said that you set TDC before removing the valve cover on passenger side, how did you do it? Specifics?!
when I opened the cover I noticed the intake cam is set at TDC I assumed it being at TDC because the arrow on the notch on the intake cam lined up, as a result I thought since I am not touching the exhaust cam which has the TB on it I should be fine in terms of removing the intake cam and going forward with replacing the tensioner.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that is fine, you can put the intake cam back in the way it was. BUT car won't start. You will have a tensioner with good shoes. But that fact that the two cams are not lined up the same tells me either intake cam skipped a tooth or exhaust cam. Now, if you were at TDC(by the book, not assumed TDC), you would be able to determine which cam is off. But TDC is the key. It's the North on maps, so you can navigate.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, that is fine, you can put the intake cam back in the way it was. BUT car won't start. You will have a tensioner with good shoes. But that fact that the two cams are not lined up the same tells me either intake cam skipped a tooth or exhaust cam. Now, if you were at TDC(by the book, not assumed TDC), you would be able to determine which cam is off. But TDC is the key. It's the North on maps, so you can navigate.
looks like I messed up royally!
What is the solution now?
the chain had the right amount of spacing before I took the tensioner out, does that indicate anything?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, yeah, proceed with putting the intake cam you took off back to removal position: notch up and lined up with arrow, plus marks on chain have to match. Which reminds me, did you mark the chain and sprockets on both cams? What did you mark? Let me guess: you couldn't mark the exhaust cam and chain since you didn't have a notch? I can't tell from pics if you marked the chain...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moe1354
looks like I messed up royally!
What is the solution now?
the chain had the right amount of spacing before I took the tensioner out, does that indicate anything?
this is what happens when a general contractor tries to be a mechanic !!! lol
Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, yeah, proceed with putting the intake cam you took off back to removal position: notch up and lined up with arrow, plus marks on chain have to match. Which reminds me, did you mark the chain and sprockets on both cams? What did you mark? Let me guess: you couldn't mark the exhaust cam and chain since you didn't have a notch? I can't tell from pics if you marked the chain...
I did mark the chain and the sprockets before taking the intake out. That pic was taken before I mark it. Si I marked the link and the sprocket on the intake and the chain linkage + the sprocket.

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement