A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 2.7T Coolant Drain Plug Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 A6 2.7T Coolant Drain Plug Location

Greetings!

I just did my timing belt replacement and am about to flush the coolant system before I fill it with Audi coolant. I've been trying to locate the coolant drain plug, but without success.

There is an earlier thread on this forum that has a picture, link, but as I am relatively new to auto repair, I could not figure out which part of the car that picture is showing. I'd like to get some more detailed explanation. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
newba62.7t (06-21-2019)
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

The radiator drain is accessible with the bumper off. It's on the left side (driver's side).

The coolant is normally drained by pulling up the clip (you don't need to take it off) on the plastic end of the lower radiator drain hose, near the radiator, and pulling the plastic end of the hose straight off..wiggle a little but don't break off the radiator plastic nipple!

Looking at the link picture and the bentley, I would loosen the golden colored fastener/plug. The greenish plug looks like a socket head cap screw used to fasten something together.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main coolant drain or block coolant drain?

The linked thread is talking about the block coolant drain... i wouldn't worry about draining the block unless you mixed coolants or had some oil leak into the cooling system. For a typical coolant change, the radiator petcock or pulling the radiator hose [as sloopjohnB said] does the job.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed. Every time I want to pull my coolant reservoir, I remove the bumper grille, place a bucket under the front bumper, and unscrew the blue plug screw from the lower LH front of the radiator. Does the job quickly and saves time having to pull the bumper.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
Agreed. Every time I want to pull my coolant reservoir, I remove the bumper grille, place a bucket under the front bumper, and unscrew the blue plug screw from the lower LH front of the radiator. Does the job quickly and saves time having to pull the bumper.
Can't seem to find "blue plug screw from the lower LH front of radiator". Have bumper off, still can't find it.

Pulling lower rad hose often results in a mess, would prefer to drain.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kingcu
There is an earlier thread on this forum that has a picture, link, but as I am relatively new to auto repair, I could not figure out which part of the car that picture is showing. I'd like to get some more detailed explanation. Thanks.
That's the block drain bolt.
I must be getting totally blind: can't locate the 'normal' radiator 'petcock' drain screw (normally a plastic screw with slot or large philipps; always used/found it, can't seem to find it this time. Mangled the darn lower rad hose off (splash mess).

For the record: can someone post a pic showing the location?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vtraudt
That's the block drain bolt.
I must be getting totally blind: can't locate the 'normal' radiator 'petcock' drain screw (normally a plastic screw with slot or large philipps; always used/found it, can't seem to find it this time. Mangled the darn lower rad hose off (splash mess).

For the record: can someone post a pic showing the location?

It's located here on my 2.8 (drivers side by the foglight)

I'm not sure if it looks exactly the same on the 2.7t's, but it should be in the same area.

I've read a few posts with members claiming their cars didn't have it/they couldn't locate it. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
It's located here on my 2.8 (drivers side by the foglight)

I'm not sure if it looks exactly the same on the 2.7t's, but it should be in the same area.

I've read a few posts with members claiming their cars didn't have it/they couldn't locate it. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Appears to be reddish/orange in the pic.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Appears to be reddish/orange in the pic.
yup, that's the one. Either must be fully blind, or mine doesn't have it.

Will check tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How do I remove that grill by the fog light

I've read a few posts with members claiming their cars didn't have it/they couldn't locate it. Not sure how accurate that is though.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 2.7T Coolant Drain Plug Location