A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 2.7t headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Car has to be on, but not started.
If both lights don't work, start with the fuse and the switch and work towards the bulbs. You have started at the wrong end.
The fuse is good. The parking/yellow light and turn signal is good. But there's no voltage coming out the fuse socket for the low beam when I checked it. Maybe my switch is fried?
Old 05-16-2015, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
+1 on this.

Sounds like the switch. I know mine acts funny when parking lights switched on, sometimes the headlight warning shows in cluster and sometimes, the headlights themselves turn on! (don't need the second setting ).. I gave up on driving with just parking lights on long time ago.

You need to check for voltage BEFORE the ballasts at the connector on the ballasts. NOT the thick cable (Ballast output - high voltage)! Disconnect ballast and check.

If you find it is the switch, you can get a aftermarket or source one at a junkyard.
Yes I've check the harness that connects to the ballast and it shows no voltage out of it. But the fuse in the fuse box is good. Also I checked the fuse socket for the low beam and high beam, but it shows no voltage either. Do u think it's the relay? Or maybe it's my switch that's burnt out? Really need help.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find the 12v hot going into switch and test all pins in off position. Then turn it to parking lights and check all pins and see if any come active. Repeat with all settings and note which pins are going hot. If switch is bad, you won't see them hot. Simple enough... at least, that will eliminate the switch in the mix.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Find the 12v hot going into switch and test all pins in off position. Then turn it to parking lights and check all pins and see if any come active. Repeat with all settings and note which pins are going hot. If switch is bad, you won't see them hot. Simple enough... at least, that will eliminate the switch in the mix.
Yes I've tested pins on fuse on and off but no luck with voltage coming out off it. Only park lights and turn signals works and high beams works only when I pull and hold the stock back. Do you think it's the switch? I've never had a problem like this but I jus bought this 2000 audi a6 a couple months ago and both low beam headlights work and now both had went out about a month ago. Do u think it's the relay? Or is it the ignition switch? It's really confusing because I am a new audi owner.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds more like the HID relay, the head light switch is not capable to handle the current of headlamps.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Sounds more like the HID relay, the head light switch is not capable to handle the current of headlamps.
I bought a new ballast and bulb and tried it on but it still doesn't work. When I checked for voltage on the fuse box on the low beam and high beam, there's no voltage coming out of it either with the car on and off. What do you think it might be?? Help please.
Also what is the head light relay on a 2000 audi a6?605?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm on it

Originally Posted by Saravy
I bought a new ballast and bulb and tried it on but it still doesn't work. When I checked for voltage on the fuse box on the low beam and high beam, there's no voltage coming out of it either with the car on and off. What do you think it might be?? Help please.
Saravy I will try help you but keep in mind that I'm not there to diagnose this problem, you are.

The relay location should be in the owners manual or you can search the forum for this topic, meanwhile I will dig up any material that you can't find on your own.....bear with me member I'm trying to watch the Cav's game, do paperwork and do backflips...I'll have something for you by the AM if not tonight.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Saravy I will try help you but keep in mind that I'm not there to diagnose this problem, you are.

The relay location should be in the owners manual or you can search the forum for this topic, meanwhile I will dig up any material that you can't find on your own.....bear with me member I'm trying to watch the Cav's game, do paperwork and do backflips...I'll have something for you by the AM if not tonight.
Thank you. I really appreciate the help
Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, look at these pdf's and try to determine the source of the fuses, relays and modules "VCDS/Vagcom would help" but you mentioned nothing of the sort, take your time studying....pop quiz time tomorrow, Ha Ha.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight switch HID.pdf (565.7 KB, 105 views)
HID Diagram.pdf (565.7 KB, 122 views)
HID panel fuse and relay.pdf (565.7 KB, 113 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Saravy
I'd suggest to stop buying part(s) unless you are absolutely sure that it is bad. A headlight relay is a electromechanical device (google relay operation) that is used to switch high load devices. Otherwise, the switches, wiring, contacts all have to be beefy enough to handle heavy current load -and that adds cost.

Instead they use standard wiring and trigger a relay which in turn supplies power to heavy load device. This way, only small a section of the circuit needs heavy components.

Follow wiring diagrams jcman posted and go through each methodically and find the cause. It can't be too difficult if you go step by step and eliminate sections that are working.

Quick Reply: 2000 A6 2.7t headlight