A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Snubbed by Audi Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snubbed by Audi Dealer

I went to the dealer today to purchase the Radio removal tool to get the security code (don't have it the manual) so I could call Audi Customer care to get the access code as my radio is in Safe mode. I was told they don't give it out anymore and that I have to bring the car in for service and they would download it. Hmm..okay.

I then went to the service department to ask how to remove the Water Pump and Timing Belt and was told that was "Proprietary Information"

Seriously??? I've owned many cars in 30 years and have never been told that. Since when is that proprietary information?

I guess Audi wants you to fork out $$$$$$ to buy their cars and then fork out more to keep fixing them. They don't give a $hit about their customers Will never buy an Audi again...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

it isnt proprietory ..
But it is a somewhat complex procedure to explain to a guy who walks up. If i were a mechanic i would have no qualms in telling you that techs are trained to do that procedure and there are lots of sources on the internet to investigate if you want instructions..
What if he tells you in 5 minutes what it takes 5 hours to do and you screw it up .. you can come back and say the audi guy told me .......

its all about the liabilities my friend .

as far as the radio code goes did you look on the options sticker in the trunk,, sometimes mechanics write it there.

Last edited by Airbag; 07-28-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
it isnt proprietory ..
But it is a somewhat complex procedure to explain to a guy who walks up. If i were a mechanic i would have no qualms in telling you that techs are trained to do that procedure and there are lots of sources on the internet to investigate if you want instructions..
What if he tells you in 5 minutes what it takes 5 hours to do and you screw it up .. you can come back and say the audi guy told me .......

its all about the liabilities my friend .

as far as the radio code goes did you look on the options sticker in the trunk,, sometimes mechanics write it there.
Hi, thanks for responding. I asked them for a print out of instructions. I definitely hear you on the complexity. I was just dumbfounded by their response.
No codes in the trunk for the radio.
Cheers,
Ather
Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ather
I went to the dealer today to purchase the Radio removal tool to get the security code (don't have it the manual) so I could call Audi Customer care to get the access code as my radio is in Safe mode. I was told they don't give it out anymore and that I have to bring the car in for service and they would download it. Hmm..okay.

I then went to the service department to ask how to remove the Water Pump and Timing Belt and was told that was "Proprietary Information"

Seriously??? I've owned many cars in 30 years and have never been told that. Since when is that proprietary information?

I guess Audi wants you to fork out $$$$$$ to buy their cars and then fork out more to keep fixing them. They don't give a $hit about their customers Will never buy an Audi again...
What if you went to Bentley.com and wanted the information? They sell the information and would probably tell you the same thing. Buy the Bentley! BTW, Cadillac or Chrysler or Porsche would tell you the same thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Another thing…just go to ECStuning.com and buy the tools or amazon or some such.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like they went to the MB school of customer service.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Another thing…just go to ECStuning.com and buy the tools or amazon or some such.
Not only can you buy the tools there, they have a pdf file for free of step by step procedures on an S4... If you're a 2.7t guy. Just click on any of their timing belt kits and near the right hand side on the bottom there is a link to the pdf file.

I will try to post it here as well.

2.7t Timing Belt/Water Pump DIY from ECS
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1. you can make a tool out of a coat hanger, or buy them many places
2. while proprietary is the wrong word, you cant expect them to spend their time to educate you so they lose business. The shop manual can be purchased from Robert Bentley publishers

I don't much care for their approach either, but on #2 you can't fundamentally blame them.

Grant
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Radio removal tools, get 4, available on ebay for $10 easy. Lots of videos on youtube on the water pump and timing belt as well as Bentley, radio code is probably written on the radio. You'll see when you get the proper tools and pull it out. Your best bet for DIY is this forum and GOOGLE. Lots of knowledge here. What's in it for the dealer to give away his knowledge? Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi, thanks for responding. I asked them for a print out of instructions. I definitely hear you on the complexity. I was just dumbfounded by their response.
No codes in the trunk for the radio.
Cheers,
Ather
once it is printed they could certainly copywrite it and refuse to provide it . As mentioned i doubt Bentley would print out there manual and give it to you , even posting pics out of their manual can get you in hot water here.
having said that ... I have a copy of how to do it on the 2.8 if you cant find any instructions ..

see the first responder was right !! there are lots of sources on the internet