A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 4.2 Brake Caliper leaking after replacement

Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A6 4.2 Brake Caliper leaking after replacement

Hi all, I recently replaced the rear brake rotors and also put in reconditioned brake calipers. The right wheel is fine but the left drivers side wheel started dripping brake fluid after I started to pump the brakes to get brake pressure back up.

I took off the brake line again and reconnected it a couple of times and tightened it as hard as I could without damaging the bolt and the caliper. That seemed to help but it still keeps dripping a bit.

Not sure what else to do. Is there any kind of sealer I can put around the edges of the nut? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you still have the old copper washers from the previous caliper? If you do, reuse those. If you don't then you'll need to throw out the washers that you have and get new ones and try again.

There are no sealers that can be used with the braking system. There's too much pressure and it would just get blown out. Not to mention it could potentially contaminate the system.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New soft copper washers.
Not reused ones, and not hard copper.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
not hard copper.
Please use quote and reply so your posts thread correctly. Your comments seem random since they are all over the place.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

teflon tape on the threads?

remember it gets HOT.

Odd, i've never had an issue

Grant
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New soft copper washers.
You can reuse the factory copper washers no problem. As a matter of fact, they work better than the new ones that come with replacement calipers.
The factory washers are thicker, they also have ridges cut into them so they seal better with less torque.

Note: they have to be the ones that came off of that particular vehicle, and reinstalled in the same orientation that they came off.

Originally Posted by Just Me
teflon tape on the threads?

remember it gets HOT.

Odd, i've never had an issue

Grant
The leak is not on the threads most likely. I'm betting it's it's coming from the copper washer area by the bolt head. Note that these use banjo bolts that are basically hollow to allow fluid to pass through them.

No sealants, teflon tape, or any other chemical may be used in a braking system except for brake fluid itself. It is vitally important that the system seals itself mechanically. Not only does the system get extremely hot, it also is under a considerable amount of pressure (think 2000 psi in some cases).
Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it actually leaking from the banjo bolt, or from somewhere else?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by P-Zero
Do you still have the old copper washers from the previous caliper? If you do, reuse those. If you don't then you'll need to throw out the washers that you have and get new ones and try again.

There are no sealers that can be used with the braking system. There's too much pressure and it would just get blown out. Not to mention it could potentially contaminate the system.
The only washers I see are the ones on the end of the brake line which has a metal connector that the bolt goes thru. It has a washer on either of the connector. They don't look like they're made of copper and they are the ones that were on the car when I got it. I will look for copper ones and try those. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New soft copper washers.
Okay, will try those, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Is it actually leaking from the banjo bolt, or from somewhere else?
Yes, it is leaking from the bolt. At first, I saw it leaking from the pin that is used to align the brake line to the caliper but after I tightened it real hard it seemed to stop and start dripping out from under the bolt head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 A6 4.2 Brake Caliper leaking after replacement