A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 A6 2.7t sport package shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A6 2.7t sport package shock replacement

I recently purchased a 2001 a6 with the optional sport package, and after some research found that the shocks have 40% more compression damping over non-sport models.

I am in need of replacing all four shocks/struts, and wanted to buy the closest thing to OE spec compression to keep the balance of the factory tune. Which brand and model would give me the best fit in terms of compression ratio?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why?
The rears in your suggestion aren't even for his car!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tntxwired
I recently purchased a 2001 a6 with the optional sport package, and after some research found that the shocks have 40% more compression damping over non-sport models.

I am in need of replacing all four shocks/struts, and wanted to buy the closest thing to OE spec compression to keep the balance of the factory tune. Which brand and model would give me the best fit in terms of compression ratio?
I find it hard to believe that your "find info" on compression damping is correct.
The Sport package has both shorter and stiffer springs, shorter slightly lowers the vehicle, stiffer shortens the compression stroke.
A compromise that may require little or no additional compression damping to avoid hitting the bump stop.
But further, compression damping is not a critical factor for any shock.
Rather, rebound damping is the critical criteria for any suspension system.
The factory replacement may be the best match.
WHY do you believe that you need new shocks!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you Bernie, the info I found was actually a subset of this site, seen here: 2001 Audi A6

I admit I have very limited knowledge when it comes to suspension, I wasn't sure how the damping would be applicable besides assuming that it would be wise to keep all variables constant, since I don't plan on replacing the springs. I did some reading on the forums and found some suggestions for the following kit from blausport:
Audi A6 Shock - Audi A6 Shocks - Audi A6 Shock Kit - Blausport

Do you have any knowledge of quality in this brand in comparison with bilstein? Also, I couldn't manage to find the brand/spec for OE equipment after searching the internet for the better part of 3 hours.

My reason for replacing is that 2 out of 4 are leaking fluid, and the car is still sitting on originals with 160k on the clock. The car sits unevenly at a standstill and the ride is.....somewhat compromised.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If your car sits uneven you have a spring problem, shocks do not suspend weight and these cars are known to crack springs near the bottom perch area along with normal sag wear.

Last edited by jcman; 03-13-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmm, any thoughts on the complete blausport kit in that case? I might drop the 1k it costs sometime this spring, although I'm not sure if the coil springs they include will preserve the 20mm lowering of the OEM sport package.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tntxwired
Hmm, any thoughts on the complete blausport kit in that case? I might drop the 1k it costs sometime this spring, although I'm not sure if the coil springs they include will preserve the 20mm lowering of the OEM sport package.
I have zero recommendations on what you should buy or who from, just the facts on what you have asked and noticed about your suspension issues.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Cool, thanks for the help peeps
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If your car sits uneven you may will have a broken spring.
This is the first thing to check for.
If you must replace springs, replace as a pair.
If the replacement spring rate differs from stock sport, the shock rebound damping must suit the new combo, i.e. critically damp the new combination of spring rate and unsprung weight.
Most aftermarket combinations are not designed to do so.

Shocks that are weeping a small amount of fluid from the shaft seal are not necessarily bad.
If you can bounce the corner of the car with no overshoot, most probably OK.
BTDT at 165K.

Last edited by BernieBenz; 03-17-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bilstein Touring (B4) shocks and struts will run about $450 shipped for your car and are just ~10% stiffer than OE sport.

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 2.7t sport package shock replacement