A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 Audi A6 leak behind transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Till you get it replaced, top up the diff.
You don't know how low it is.
This seal seem to be mostly ignored by most servicing A6s.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Till you get it replaced, top up the diff.
You don't know how low it is.
This seal seem to be mostly ignored by most servicing A6s.
Yes, thats i will do right away now, been running car for a week like that and dont really know the fluid level... i found this mobil 1 gear oil http://m.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/gear-oil/mobil-synthetic-gear-oil-sae-75w-90-1-qt/1437_0_0?location=
its syntetic and rated 75w90 just as recommended on the previous posts above, just want to make sure if that fluid is fine to be used
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Loosen and slide back the exhaust clamps, unbolt the driveshaft, move aside, and remove the bolt in the center of the flange. Replace the seal. The "new" style seal need a different flange. Just get the original seal. it lasted this long, it will last till the car dies. be sure to top off the transfer case with synthetic gear oil.
I'm a little confused in removing the exhaust(first time doing it), so by "Loosen and slide back the exhaust clamps", do you mean to loosen this clamps?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is also a bolt with a spring more closer to the front holding the exhaust on both sides, do i need to loosen that one, too?

and what about the hangers that hold the front and rear mufflers, or thats unecessary to remove?

and thanks a lot to all you guys helping me out, I have learned a lot about fixing my car in this forum

Last edited by Alex2.7T; 08-11-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default You may have to do all of those. Depends on your mad skilz.

Originally Posted by Alex2.7T
There is also a bolt with a spring more closer to the front holding the exhaust on both sides, do i need to loosen that one, too?

and what about the hangers that hold the front and rear mufflers, or thats unecessary to remove?

and thanks a lot to all you guys helping me out, I have learned a lot about fixing my car in this forum
But, yes, it would be easier to work on the output case with the exhaust system entirely removed.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont need to remove the whole exhaust or any of the mounts. Just loosen the clamps you show, push them back, then you can just push the pipes out of your way and get the job done. Theres no reason to wrestle with all the mounts and crap. Just do no over stretch the flex joints.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, thats i will do right away now, been running car for a week like that and dont really know the fluid level... i found this mobil 1 gear oil http://m.autozone.com/greases-and-ge..._0_0?location=
its syntetic and rated 75w90 just as recommended on the previous posts above, just want to make sure if that fluid is fine to be used
That stuff is fine.

I got my 2000 with 125K miles and the center diff was near empty.

They all seem to leak eventually.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Dont need to remove the whole exhaust or any of the mounts. Just loosen the clamps you show, push them back, then you can just push the pipes out of your way and get the job done. Theres no reason to wrestle with all the mounts and crap. Just do no over stretch the flex joints.
I gave it a try yesterday, and i did it just to gain access to differential and check fluid level (didn't removed driveshaft yet), it woked as you said, easy process. I had my car rear tires on ramps and front lifted with jack stands, i stuck my index finger in fill hole and could touch the fluid, is that the right way to check fluid ?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I think you're supposed to put fluid in it until it just starts to come out.

I gave it a try yesterday, and i did it just to gain access to differential and check fluid level (didn't removed driveshaft yet), it woked as you said, easy process. I had my car rear tires on ramps and front lifted with jack stands, i stuck my index finger in fill hole and could touch the fluid, is that the right way to check fluid ?
Unless someone knows different most gearboxes are filled to the fill port level.

I hope this link works if you don't have ebahn:

http://ebahn.bentleypublishers.com/A...tml#jh826cX_CO

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-12-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The only ONE I have every seen that is not checked that way is the front diff on our cars.
They want 1/2 inch below the edge of the plug.

Quick Reply: 2001 Audi A6 leak behind transmission