A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 3.0L Low Oil Level Light - Bizarre Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I pulled up the 02 3.0 engine audi overall training (self study) and came up with one possible/probable issue related to sludging of the labyrinth separators in the head:
The cylinder head covers are rigid
assemblies with welded partitions. These
partitions cover the large breather
chambers and include integrated labyrinth
separators that act as oil separators for the
crankcase breather blow-by gases. This
reduces the amount of oil contained in the
recirculated exhaust gases.

My point is that if these passages are sludged up they will retard oil flow to the crankcase. OP could pull the cylinder head covers and visually inspect if not clean the large breather chambers or perhaps use a lighter synthetic oil (within audi use specs of course) or engine flush (sacrilege but there it is) with more frequent oil changes. Chances are OP is using a non-synthetic oil anyway.
recirculated exhaust gases?

I'm cringing on that statement, I'm sure you meant excessive oil vapor in the intake system.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try adding about 3 ounces of Seafoam to your oil, this should start breaking down sludge that may be starting to build up.
Also how often do you change your oil?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would add a engine flush (Seafoam or other) then run gently till hot and drain the oil and change the filer.
Then run one grade lighter oil for about 100 to 500 miles (dive gently) and again add flush and change.
Then add a good synthetic and change one more time a bit early.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default No..thats a quote from Audi's input data to Bentley

Originally Posted by jcman
recirculated exhaust gases?

I'm cringing on that statement, I'm sure you meant excessive oil vapor in the intake system.
If I had written it I probably would have said recirculated oil vapors since it's a PCV issue. But who knows what the gnomes did on the 3.0?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If I had written it I probably would have said recirculated oil vapors since it's a PCV issue. But who knows what the gnomes did on the 3.0?
Interesting that a remark about EGR was made on an engine that doesn't have that system.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I think you're right, it must have been an Audi typo.

Originally Posted by jcman
Interesting that a remark about EGR was made on an engine that doesn't have that system.
I've questioned Bentley customer support in the past and their reflex is that they just put in what Audi sends them. Typical. There hasn't been a decent car service manual since Motor essentially quit publishing them for specific cars/models. At least it appeared that someone other than the mfr was actually looking at the mfr data and really doing the repairs before publishing the data.

Too expensive nowadays.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've questioned Bentley customer support in the past and their reflex is that they just put in what Audi sends them. Typical. There hasn't been a decent car service manual since Motor essentially quit publishing them for specific cars/models. At least it appeared that someone other than the mfr was actually looking at the mfr data and really doing the repairs before publishing the data.

Too expensive nowadays.
Agreed I've noticed this too, I suppose the interpretation of that data is done buy semi-technical folks.
Sorry about my post #11 comment, what I meant was "I'm sure THEY meant excessive oil vapor in the intake system" not YOU, my bad typo.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

i would have this addressed immediately as you are risking oil starvation issues that could end the life of your engine very quickly.

This issue very recently happened to someone here and he got quite the oil shower when he stuck a coat hanger up through the oil return tubes. I believe his was a 3.0 also .
Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same thing happen to me once, where the oil pressure light came on. Checked the oil and it was a little low. put some in. check it again put some in, then I had a little to much. I thought maybe the screen in the sump was plugged so I took the oil pan off. Looked clean as a whistle in there no slug at all. Couldn't figure it out so I changed my oil and filter and the problem never came back, My guess is I had a bad oil filter, valve in the oil filter stayed open or something . So far it hasn't come back in a year
Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted to ask what is the white crap on the oil filler cap from ?? I have a new PVC on the car.

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 3.0L Low Oil Level Light - Bizarre Issue